Notices

Newbie question

Old 12-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question

Hello. I'm new to the forum. Seems to be a great site with lots of info. I have always been around boats. Starting to get into performance boats. I have a 22' Regal Velocity. 454. Bravo. She likes to chine walk from half throttle and up. Just doesn't seem right to me. I have driven hydrostreams that ran 80 plus that I was able to control the chine walking. This one not so much. Questions I have is I have been talking and reading about it and some say I need tabs and some say I need hydraulic steering. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:04 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the hull have any hook or rocker? Assuming a straight hull and no slop in the steering then maybe you should look at your prop choices.

I will say that my boat with a seemingly tight steering and blue printed hull would occasionally chine walk, after a full hydraulic helm I have not experienced that again even at higher speeds.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:57 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply. How would I check for hook or rocker? The prop I am currently running is a Quicksilver QS2000 25p
Old 12-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Is the steering tight or is there play in it? I had a 1989 Regal Velocity 23 with A 454 mag. Very stable. It came with full hydraulic steering.

Padraig
Old 12-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Does the hull have any hook or rocker? Assuming a straight hull and no slop in the steering then maybe you should look at your prop choices.

I will say that my boat with a seemingly tight steering and blue printed hull would occasionally chine walk, after a full hydraulic helm I have not experienced that again even at higher speeds.
Quick question--
What is considered tight steering -- I realize that most boat steering systems are not a Ferrari -- move the steering wheel a 1/2 inch and the tires move 1/2 inch-- so what should be expected??

Merry Christmas and thanks in advance.

3pointstar
Old 12-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Padraig
Is the steering tight or is there play in it? I had a 1989 Regal Velocity 23 with A 454 mag. Very stable. It came with full hydraulic steering.

Padraig

While driving it has a few inches of play in the wheel. on the trailer I can wiggle the lower unit and can see the wheel move when I wiggle it but cant tell exactly how much play is in there. not sure if the tiller has play in it either. It currently has the cable assisted steering. Going hydraulic is almost a must on this boat for safety since it runs high 70's low 80's right?
Old 12-23-2014, 09:36 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have someone hold the steering wheel and see how much you can turn the outdrive, I would say that an inch either side is good, however you can imagine what effect this can have on direction and stability. My friends worn out 90,s drive moves 2+ inches in either direction and drives fine (he says) I would like him to add at least one external ram.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Registered

Soon as I get a chance I need to check that. Aside from the possible issue of the drive/steering having play in it, would tabs help chine walk? Just trying to process that in my head from what some say. My thinking is that once the boat is up to high speed most the time the tabs are out of the water? Am I thinking correct?
Old 12-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

If the steering checks out, I would think about trying a different prop. My previous boat (24 Superboat), chine walked a lot with a 3 blade Mirage +, I switched to a 4 blade bravo and the chine walk was totally eliminated.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
If the steering checks out, I would think about trying a different prop. My previous boat (24 Superboat), chine walked a lot with a 3 blade Mirage +, I switched to a 4 blade bravo and the chine walk was totally eliminated.
I have heard that before that the prop could affect it. A local mercruiser dealer here said I can try some props to see if that changes anything. Still need to check drive more closely for play. Waiting for the weather to break here. It has been cold and rainy. I am trying to get the boat to run more consistently stable before summer gets here and I have the whole family out on the boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.