Notices

first powerboat

Old 12-24-2014, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

There is also some guys that leave them up to stop people from walking on them.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

For a first powerboat I'd go with something straight bottom and black power. At 38', you will have a hard time getting yourself in trouble with that combination (except around the docks!).
Old 12-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Early to late 90's are prone to vapor lock issues on hot days. Mine happens to be one of them. Opening the hatch and idling with blowers running for 10 minutes prior to shut down, as well as leaving the hatch open for a half hour or so will eliminate the issues.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by hrs pla
I have owned several pleasure boats and have always wanted a go fast boat. I'm now able to buy one. Before I go out and get one what should I know. Yes I know its off season. I thought I might be able to get a better deal this time of year. I looking to get a V bottom twin engine boat around 38 feet . I'm not saying any brands because I don't want to start one of those threads My biggest question is are these type of boats something I can just put in the water and go all season after the spring service. Can I just start up at the ramp go to the sand bar for a hour then start right back up and go to the beach etc? Oh ya fresh water only. Everytime I see a power boat at the beach, sand bar, dock, or anytime its not running the engine covers are up. Do these boat not have blower motors to vent. Please don't make this a brand thread.
What's your budget?
Old 12-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 85 Posts

Starting with a 38 foot twin engine boat????

If you really have no boating experience at all, buy yourself a 16 foot outboard boat on a trailer and spend a summer learning. There is no shame in taking your time and learning how boats work and why props are important and what it means to hit a rock or sandbar.

Better to do it with a small boat that can be turned over quickly the next year. Take your time with this process and find out what you like most about boating and then plan on buying something that will cover most of those needs.

Every boat, big or small, is a compromise, so don't expect it will all be perfect with an XXX Craft or a YYY brand. Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Read the first post, he said he's had many previous boats but this will be his first performance boat.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably also need to consider if you are going to trailer it and what you have as a tow vehicle if you haven't already. Sounds silly, but I've known a lot of people that buy a boat and then want to borrow a truck to go get it. I agree with the black motors. I would also consider something a little smaller than a 38 unless you've been driving big twin engine cruisers as your "pleasure boats".
Old 12-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
The guys having the hatches up is more of a big balls ego thing more then any thing imo but it never hurts to open it up with the blower on and do the sniff and quick check over everything befor you start up and go. Its alot of money on the line with the bigger boats and big power to not do something that only takes a minute.
Upon first start after sitting for a few hours, I always lift the hatch even with the blowers. Just rather be safe than sorry.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

A twin engine, side by side, fuel injected, speed boat is about the easiest docking boat that you can buy. It is much easier than a single because you can spin on the two engines, and it is easier than a big cruiser because the tide and wind don't effect it as much.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Starting with a 38 foot twin engine boat????

If you really have no boating experience at all, buy yourself a 16 foot outboard boat on a trailer and spend a summer learning. There is no shame in taking your time and learning how boats work and why props are important and what it means to hit a rock or sandbar.

Better to do it with a small boat that can be turned over quickly the next year. Take your time with this process and find out what you like most about boating and then plan on buying something that will cover most of those needs.

Every boat, big or small, is a compromise, so don't expect it will all be perfect with an XXX Craft or a YYY brand. Good luck and have fun.

This 35 is my first real boat. Before this the biggest I ever drove was a 23' CC.

With patience and ego set aside. You can learn to get into something big from the get go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.