Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best brand of inflatable dinghys? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/321550-best-brand-inflatable-dinghys.html)

boaterforlife 12-30-2014 08:26 PM

Best brand of inflatable dinghys?

Hello, Im looking to purchase an inflatable dinghy around an 8-9 footer or so. Just wondering which brands seem to be the best. I don't want something overly expensive, but I dont want the bottom of the line inflatable either. Im looking for something that is good quality and will last me a long time. Thanks

1MOSES1 12-30-2014 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by boaterforlife (Post 4242012)
Hello, Im looking to purchase an inflatable dinghy around an 8-9 footer or so. Just wondering which brands seem to be the best. I don't want something overly expensive, but I dont want the bottom of the line inflatable either. Im looking for something that is good quality and will last me a long time. Thanks

Novurania is prob one of the best. My dad has an AB inflatable which is pretty nice, not as expensive.

Starr Marine 12-31-2014 01:02 AM

Novurania are nice and have a great ride. but I have been having quality problems with mine. all of the issues were because of the transom and were covered under warranty, I still selling it to buy a zodiac yacht line mostly because I want a steering wheel . all and all I think that they build them to only last like 5-10 years or so. if you decide to get one with a glass bottom make sure that you get one with the gas tank molded into the bow. the red tanks for the will slide all over the place, plus if you kick that tank it hurts like hell.

akaboatman 01-01-2015 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Starr Marine (Post 4242118)
Novurania are nice and have a great ride. but I have been having quality problems with mine. all of the issues were because of the transom and were covered under warranty, I still selling it to buy a zodiac yacht line mostly because I want a steering wheel . all and all I think that they build them to only last like 5-10 years or so. if you decide to get one with a glass bottom make sure that you get one with the gas tank molded into the bow. the red tanks for the will slide all over the place, plus if you kick that tank it hurts like hell.

. Great info. Thanks I have been looking for one for awhile. Thanks

wananewboat 01-01-2015 10:35 AM

I just purchased an AB 19' this fall and it seems well made.

boaterforlife 01-01-2015 11:55 PM

What's an AB 19'?

What type of motor should you use on a dinghy as far as horsepower is concerned?

Also, is there a noticeable difference between the plank floor and the rigid fiberglass bottom? I'm assuming the fiberglass bottom is more stable and makes for a more comfortable ride in somewhat rougher waters?

JRider 01-02-2015 09:39 AM

Where are you located? I have a nice 9' Zodiac zoom for sale that is in very good condition.

wananewboat 01-02-2015 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by boaterforlife (Post 4242973)
What's an AB 19'?

What type of motor should you use on a dinghy as far as horsepower is concerned?

Also, is there a noticeable difference between the plank floor and the rigid fiberglass bottom? I'm assuming the fiberglass bottom is more stable and makes for a more comfortable ride in somewhat rougher waters?

It's much larger than you want, but they make all sizes and make great tenders.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535106[/ATTACH]

boaterforlife 01-04-2015 01:49 PM

I see. I looked up AB it seems like they are well made. Is there one brand that stands above the rest as far as quality goes? Between AB, zodiac, defender, mercury, etc is there one that is better than the others?

scarab63 01-04-2015 02:52 PM

Any of the big names are good. Ab, norvinia, zodiac. West marine is mid quality, mercury i feel is lower quality. I've got a 14 year old zodiac rib that still has another season or two in it.

my next will be an AB hypalon rib. Pvc is more budget friendly but not as durable or heavy duty.

This is really not the right forum for rib talk. Join a cruiser forum you'll get some serious feedback on all brands. Hypalon vs pvc. Rib vs inflatable keels vs slat floors, etc....