Notices

Do you know your history?

Old 01-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

You guys should watch this (there is 3 parts).
My boat is at 8:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kALNooZRYfM
Old 01-04-2015, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Didn't they race a houseboat in the Miami-Nassau race once?
Old 01-05-2015, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Jacoby Girls in a Drifter Cruz? I think that was the Bahama's 500.
I would guess it happened more than once.

Jeff
Old 01-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hallj
The Jacoby Girls in a Drifter Cruz? I think that was the Bahama's 500.
I would guess it happened more than once.

Jeff
They were actually mother and daughter. No relation to Jerry Jacoby of later years. In addition to the houseboat, they started racing Prowlers. Those were very quick boats in their day and looked like a small sportsfisherman of today.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:57 AM
Registered

I knew the answer about half by threads here where Brownie and Rich Luhrs discussed these races, the time when "men were real men" because they had to manage real offshore long distance races and someone, I think I remember Charly McCarthy posted videos or links to videos of these races.

As I dont remember everything so very well I also had to look up in the internet what I thought I do remember of the Miami-Nassau races.

I know by the yachtpages that the one or two who answer a riddle put the next question, so I start. Here:

Why did it happen that "The last we saw of Don, he and the boat jumped the sea wall and disappeared into the woods." ?
And who went before this happened to one of Don Aronow's backyards with a pistol and shot the lamps dead? The backyard belonged to the facility of which boat brand?
And why did he kill the poor lamps?

Last edited by ducktail; 01-07-2015 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ducktail
I knew the answer about half by threads here where Brownie and Rich Luhrs discussed these races, the time when "men were real men" because they had to manage real offshore long distance races and someone, I think I remember Charly McCarthy posted videos or links to videos of these races.

As I dont remember everything so very well I also had to look up in the internet what I thought I do remember of the Miami-Nassau races.

I know by the yachtpages that the one or two who answer a riddle put the next question, so I start. Here:

Why did it happen that "The last we saw of Don, he and the boat jumped the sea wall and disappeared into the woods." ?
And who went before this happened to one of Don Aronows backyards with a pistol and shot the lamps dead? The backyard belonged to the facility of which boat brand?
And why did he kill the poor lamps?
I think someone has been reading my website. Don swamped the Donzi dock (Brownie was running Donzi at the time) "testing" throwing one Donzi out of the water and up on the dock. Brownie then went over and shot the lights out of Don's shop.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:40 AM
Registered

1. Exactly.

2. The Silence of the Lamps

I was not sure whether this story is part of the documentaries/movies about Aronow. If that is only information on your webpage I am glad that I found a question and answers that are not so common.

The facility was at that time used for the Magnum brand, is that right? And Don seemed to be jealous that Allan Brown got that done not only to finish Miami-Nassau but even to win or did the "combat" happen before?

The only left question, did Aronow "disappere in the woods" with a boat that was not his own but that of a customer and he was not aware what he was driving? Do you owner of that very nice webpage supernova19 know that? I don't but that would be interesting.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:04 AM
Registered

Didn't follow Don all that well except for the connection to Brownie being I'm a Nova guy but .....

from SuperNova19.com,
Sometimes having this attitude didn't work out and Don had the scars to prove it. Like one time after Brownie left to run the Donzi shop when it was sold. "Aronow came running down the channel in one of his new Magnum boats doing about 70 mph trailing a huge wake and wearing a big grin. He cut the throttle and threw the wheel over to wash me down while I stood on a dock," Brownie recalls. "The only problem was the throttle was broken and the boat never slowed down. The last we saw of Don, he and the boat jumped the sea wall and disappeared into the woods."
Old 01-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Didn't follow Don all that well except for the connection to Brownie being I'm a Nova guy but .....

from SuperNova19.com,
Sometimes having this attitude didn't work out and Don had the scars to prove it. Like one time after Brownie left to run the Donzi shop when it was sold. "Aronow came running down the channel in one of his new Magnum boats doing about 70 mph trailing a huge wake and wearing a big grin. He cut the throttle and threw the wheel over to wash me down while I stood on a dock," Brownie recalls. "The only problem was the throttle was broken and the boat never slowed down. The last we saw of Don, he and the boat jumped the sea wall and disappeared into the woods."
Your answer is right, you or one of the other f-screennames in this thread might post the next question and you have won a comic strip:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3602#comic
Old 01-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Registered

Two men who represented their country in the Olympics as wrestlers were deeply involved in offshore racing..............Can you name them?

A major engine company for NASCAR, made some very good engines for the offshore boats in the 60's ......name that company!

An offshore driver with many wins, once smuggled rubies out of India.......name that driver!

What major discovery for the world of offshore powerboat racing was discovered at an America's Cup sailboat race?

And who discovered it?

What was the name of the lake in Switzerland that the held a world championship offshore race on?

What was the name of the two crew members in that race that, when the boat spun out, their helmets crashed into each other, one was taken to the hospital and the other shook it off.

What city was Diamond Don from and what was his biggest boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.