Notices

Coast Guard Documentation

Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI. Most states are requiring you to also register your boat in your state even if it is documented. They just want more of your money. Also documentation used to be a way around purchase taxes. Now they are closing that loop hole as well.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steve truman
I just bought a 353 and am trying to document it. They said it would take about 3-4 months to go through my ? is why do I need it.Boat is for rec. only and in US .Cant I just reg. it in my state and be done with it

A vessel must be a minimum of 10,000 lbs to document. Documenting is a security measure for financial institutions and some require it for financing. It is also security for an owner in any theft etc situation because then it has federal protection and that extend internationally too.
The initialization process is when a vessel is first documented and that takes longer but it does not hinder operation of the boat. The paperwork takes time and my documentation only came to me in Dec of this year and I filed back in April or May. I had a letter of verification that was considered good until the final document came and the letter was considered valid for vessel operation.
If you are under 10,000 lbs then the boat would not qualify. If you are at that then it is another layer of protection for yourself, for a sale and in a state that is not a title state.

Yes you can just reg and be done if there are no requirements on you.

Last edited by aquaforce; 01-20-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:48 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I wasn't aware of the 10k lbs requirement. What's the 357 weigh?
Old 01-20-2015, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
I wasn't aware of the 10k lbs requirement. What's the 357 weigh?

It is about 10,500 dry so with fuel etc it comes well into qualifying weight.

The USCG lists the requirement as tons and the min is 5 tons so 10,000 lbs.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my boat is documented .now also has a reg with bow numbers ..its cool not to have numbers on the bow but not worth the hassel when they pull you over to check if you are legal ..they never know if you documented or not ..plus if you have had a few beers.. not worth it to me to have no numbers
Old 01-21-2015, 04:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all your advice guys. I'm documenting because my lender is requiring it. It will also be registered in Michigan.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:24 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by aquaforce
A vessel must be a minimum of 10,000 lbs to document. Documenting is a security measure for financial institutions and some require it for financing. It is also security for an owner in any theft etc situation because then it has federal protection and that extend internationally too.
The initialization process is when a vessel is first documented and that takes longer but it does not hinder operation of the boat. The paperwork takes time and my documentation only came to me in Dec of this year and I filed back in April or May. I had a letter of verification that was considered good until the final document came and the letter was considered valid for vessel operation.
If you are under 10,000 lbs then the boat would not qualify. If you are at that then it is another layer of protection for yourself, for a sale and in a state that is not a title state.

Yes you can just reg and be done if there are no requirements on you.
NOT TRUE. NET TONNAGE IS NOT THE SAME AS WEIGHT!!!!!!!

Net tonnage is a measure of a vessel's volume. It should not be confused with the vessel's weight, which may also be expressed in tons. Most vessels more than 25 feet in length will measure five net tons or more. For information about how tonnage is determined, including a web-based interactive form that calculates tonnages, visit the U.S. Coast Guard Marine website. It is straight forward. A 25 outlaw can be documented!
Old 01-21-2015, 05:27 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by aquaforce
it is about 10,500 dry so with fuel etc it comes well into qualifying weight.

The uscg lists the requirement as tons and the min is 5 tons so 10,000 lbs.
net tonnage not the same.... Its displacement
Old 01-21-2015, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
NOT TRUE. NET TONNAGE IS NOT THE SAME AS WEIGHT!!!!!!!

Net tonnage is a measure of a vessel's volume. It should not be confused with the vessel's weight, which may also be expressed in tons. Most vessels more than 25 feet in length will measure five net tons or more. For information about how tonnage is determined, including a web-based interactive form that calculates tonnages, visit the U.S. Coast Guard Marine website. It is straight forward. A 25 outlaw can be documented!
+1 has nothing to do w/ the weight!!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

^^^^^ like others said, my fountain is CGD and only scales around 7200lbs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.