Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Calumet River Poker Run (Chicago) 9/7 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32226-calumet-river-poker-run-chicago-9-7-a.html)

MrCIG 09-03-2002 11:20 AM

Calumet River Poker Run (Chicago) 9/7

This Saturday on the Calumet River in Chicago
There is the 3rd. Annual Lake Michigan Yachting Association Poker Run.
Those who have attended will tell you it's the best $20 you can spend.
Lot's of time at each stop to talk to and meet new people. We make 5 stops at different Marina's where there is food and refreshments available and Raffles.
The final stop is Triplex Marina 130th. and Halsted Riverdale, Il, where there is Food, (included in your $20 entry fee), Beverages and Music and more time to get to know everyone. If you can't make the run you can come for the dinner which is between 5:00 and 7:00 .

It all takes place on the River so now problem with rough water.

Sign up is beteen 9:00a.m.and Noon on Saturday Sept. 7 at Marine Services 142nd. and Cottage Grove, Dolton (by Land)
By water it's the Marina inside the large Basin.

All types of boats are welcome.

If you need more info let me know.

Mark

Payton 09-03-2002 08:20 PM

Hey Mark, that sounds great. How can I get there from Portage, by water? Does the Calumet river dump into Lake Michigan at Hammond? Where? How far is the start from there?

Intolerant1 09-03-2002 09:37 PM

The hospital called this morning and postponed my surgery until next week. Maybe we'll make it for the run.

You can get there via the big lake. Ive never gone in the south entrance so Ill let someone else tell you how but its near the coal docks about 10mi south of Navy Pier I believe. You can see it on Microsoft Streets and Trips (and Poker Runs :p ) planner.

Payton 09-04-2002 02:39 PM

ttt:cool:

obnoxus 09-04-2002 03:43 PM

Did it last year, and like Mark said,,, the best $20 youll ever spend while boating,,,, see ya there !!!

stevel 09-04-2002 04:53 PM

Mark,

Who is the contact for additional information? What is the number?

Thanks!

Steve

Intolerant1 09-04-2002 05:49 PM

Well, I have the boat all cleaned up and have to be winterized by Monday. I think I am going to pass on the run but will hop on the bike and join up with you guys. Maybe I can help Walley as Assistant Rope ***** ? :p

Payton 09-04-2002 08:31 PM

I see on maps the entrance to the Calumet river. Where are the locks? It looks like the mouth is North of Hammond Marina. I thought there was a way to get on the river from Hammond Marina.:confused: :confused:

It may not matter. My wife wants to do something else Saturday night anway.:(

candyman35 09-04-2002 09:50 PM

Payton,
There is probably a group of boats coming from Hammond to the run. If you decide to go I'm sure you can hook up with them. This isn't the traditional Poker run. It is short distances between marinas on the river. The only rough section might be the run from the Lake to the Lock.

I'm launching out of Alsip. If you can't hook up with the Hammond group I could take a run out to the Lake and give you a tour of the PILES of the River! :p :D That's what Wild Chicago called them last year. There isn't a lot of running but a lot of time to meet people and check out boats. If you drink you'll love Skipper's, home of the Downscope. The food and band last year were great. Give me a call if you have any questions. Are you going out Sunday? Thinking about a run over to Michigan City for lunch.

Mr.Cig,
Did you use the guys from last year for food? I thought they did a great job. The band from last year was great also. I had a lot of fun. Still wish there were a little more boating involved. It was fun to jump waves for Wild Chicago. What time do you want to meet at Triplex?
Dan

Payton 09-05-2002 06:50 AM

Thanks Candyman, We'll see how the week develops. If nothing else we'll see you on sunday. We ran to Michigan city yesterday for a "business lunch" :cool: . We tied up to the wall and ate at Matty's. are you going there, or the up from B&E?

The water was a lot of fun yesterday. I'm getting more comfortable with "letting her fly".:cool: :cool: