Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Plaintiff Counsel Sees Gratton Settlement As Victory (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/322267-plaintiff-counsel-sees-gratton-settlement-victory.html)

Matt Trulio 01-20-2015 03:30 PM

Plaintiff Counsel Sees Gratton Settlement As Victory

Three years of reporting on this story comes to a close, http://speedonthewater.com/new-boat-...ent-as-victory

Captnmike 01-20-2015 05:45 PM

"This sport is dangerous enough, and that risk is assumed," he continued. "But one risk you don't assume as an offshore racer is having a tattoo artist acting as a safety diver, paramedic or fireman. The racers were led to believe there was a high degree of safety in place, when in reality there was almost none. The competent people weren't deployed until it was too late."

This is what I have believed from the beginning. You think your getting the best, when to save money(by the race promoter) you get cost cutting of the safety program.

extras 01-20-2015 06:17 PM

It's a victory for all the lawyers.

mike tkach 01-20-2015 06:30 PM

it,s a victory for the plaintiff,lawyers don,t work for free,why do you think they should.i am sure the plaintiff knew what the lawyers percent was before she signed on the dotted line.imo it takes a narrow minded person to say [it,s a victory for the lawyers].this lawyer proved his case,he did his job.the job he was paid to do.

tmmii 01-20-2015 06:42 PM

What offshore entity is Alweiss working for now?

UR2late 01-20-2015 06:42 PM

Mike. As you know as chief referee for P1 safety is first.

extras 01-20-2015 06:53 PM

[QUOTE=mike tkach;4253136]it,s a victory for the plaintiff,lawyers don,t work for free,why do you think they should.i am sure the plaintiff knew what the lawyers percent was before she signed on the dotted line.imo it takes a narrow minded person to say [it,s a victory for the lawyers].this lawyer proved his case,he did his job.the job he was paid to do.[/QUOT

The defense lawyer gets paid also. Like I said both lawyers won. Jackass

F1-00 Racing 01-21-2015 09:16 AM

How despicable it is for anyone to claim "Victory" I thought the merit of this case was to prove culpability and/or finding SBI liable for the death of Mr Gratton. As stated in the article," The settlement includes no admission of liability on the part of the defendants" I dont care if that is "standard" or not.. The insurance wrote a substantial check and the attorney is running "victorious" all the way to the bank and yet once again, I thought the whole reason for this suit was to prove SBI was at fault... I am really disappointed that as we all know in life that there are 3 sides to every story, that only one side was heard.. I guess all the keyboard warriors will say justice has been served.. I am NOT saying that SBI was not at fault, but before I form judgement, I would want to hear both sides of the story.. Extras, I apologize in advance for bringing up bad memories, but people seem to forget that the plaintiffs "expert" witness was on duty when 2 people needlessly lost their lives while participating in a sanctioned offshore race on Long Island(different sanctioning body). Am I saying "STARS" was at fault in that scenario, absolutely not, I dont know the facts from that dreadful day, however, accidents happen and if we as racers didnt put our own lives at risk and assume the responsibility that is entailed with participation, then there wouldnt be lawsuits with a failed race producer claiming "Victory" all the way to the bank

Pismo10 01-21-2015 09:24 AM

Pathetic..

IN10SE 01-21-2015 11:10 AM

Wonder why SBI agreed to settle ?

They didn't have to settle and then they could have gone through all of their evidence and testimony to prove they did nothing wrong right ?