Notices

Magellan Meridian GPS

Old 09-03-2002, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Magellan Meridian GPS

Considering the Magellan Meridian Marine GPS. Anyone use one of these before? What model and brands of GPS has the most human friendly controls? I am interested in opnions of those who have used more than one model and can compare brands and features.

Tim T.
Old 09-03-2002, 03:02 PM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tim, I posted a thread about hand held GPS's. I just sent it back to the top of the list. I'm considering the Magellan and the Garmin. I found that Magellan has a $ 50.00 factory rebate untill the end of Septenber.

www.digitalfotoclub.com 264.85 - $50.00 rebate
www.shopharmony.com 259.00 - $50.00 rebate
www.provantage.com 255.81 - $50.00 rebate

These are the cheapest prices I found on pricetool.com

Kirk

Last edited by KN; 09-03-2002 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2002, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kirk,

We must have been posting about the same time. I pretty much have to get mine at Cabelas, my company sent me an attaboy check that is good at various retailers and Cabelas is the only one that carries the GPS and Nightscope. The Meridian Marine unit looks pretty nice and I would think that the interface is pretty much the same within the same manufacture/model family. I would like to know if the Meridian units have a top speed function. I tried a Garmin some time ago but it did not have that feature.

Tim T.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:39 AM
sha- mat

Magellan Meridian GPS

I purchased one back in March, I was told that it was new to the market. I believed him (the sales person at Boat US) because he had to go to the back to get it, and it was the only one they had. He turned it on and it picked a couple of satellites from inside the building. He then showed me the map of where we were(Alexandria VA) and I said "So what, show me some water." He scrolled over, and there was the Potomac River with channel markers being shown. I don't know if any other handheld does this or not, but you can get info on the buoys, and marinas. I paid about $300 dollars and, for my first GPS I've owned, I think its great. I've used it in the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay, and the only two complaints I have is;

1)Short battery life. (AA's) Because it's waterproof and it floats, it dosen't have a cig adapter like other handheld GPS's. I just keep extra batterys on board but what a pain to have to change batterys in the middle of a trip.
2)Instructions came in CD form for your PC. I don't know about you guys, but my Checkmate doesn't have a Compaq Deskpro on board.

I haven't seen a top speed function, there may or may not be one.

Last edited by sha- mat; 09-04-2002 at 09:41 AM.