Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sneak Peek: Cigarette-AMG Miami Model ‘Teaser’ Rendering >

Sneak Peek: Cigarette-AMG Miami Model ‘Teaser’ Rendering

Like Tree67Likes

Sneak Peek: Cigarette-AMG Miami Model ‘Teaser’ Rendering

Old 01-28-2015, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tim mccray View Post
Skip needs to let Lipship design the paint scheme on the boats that end up in the show. Or at least quit putting other company names on your own product. AMG? Ducati? It's not like Ducati or AMG built half of the boat, or the power plants, so why advertise or promote another companies products.
Wasn't AMG power plants in the electric boat last year? If that's not an AMG inspired boat I don't know what is.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240 View Post
Wasn't AMG power plants in the electric boat last year? If that's not an AMG inspired boat I don't know what is.
They did set some electric motors into the boat, for looks. Didn't actually work, meaning it was all show and no go.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Skip needs to let Lipship design the paint scheme on the boats that end up in the show. Or at least quit putting other company names on your own product. AMG? Ducati? It's not like Ducati or AMG built half of the boat, or the power plants, so why advertise or promote another companies products.
Why promote another company's products? Look at this rapidly growing thread. And without going into specifics, I can tell you that this story ... with just a rendering and very little detail ... is driving significant traffic on speedonthewater.com and its Facebook page. So from a marketing standpoint, I think the "why" is pretty obvious. It creates interest.

Also worth noting ... in no way does the product Cigarette is cross-promoting compete with the product Cigarette is building. It doesn't say Skater or Outerlimits on the side of the boat. It says AMG.

When it comes to the Cigarette-AMG relationship, opinions run strong. (That, too, answers the "why bother" question.) A lot more than once during the years, most recently in a Speed On The Water digital magazine, I've asked Skip Braver point blank if the relationship "sold boats. He answered yes, emphatically, every time. Here's the link to download the magazine with the article in case you missed it, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...download&id=11.

Mr. Braver doesn't open his books to me—for the record no one in the industry does. But here's what I know: For the past five years, Cigarette has tried something different, a strategic alliance with an upscale luxury product manufacturer. Love it or hate, and there's plenty of both and very little in between, the company has taken a different approach in tough economic times. Beyond what Mr. Braver and others have told me (not all in support of course) I have no way to "judge" the success of the alliance. But my opinion of the effort is that at least they've been trying something different and, frankly, aggressive.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 01-28-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Marginmn View Post
I'd imagine that space at the Miami Boat Show doesn't come cheap, and times being what they are IMO Cigarette is smart to team with someone like Mercedes and allow Cig to defray the cost of the show. Tough Crowd
Good point... I guess I'm responding, or more or less reacting to the original post. I just doubt that there's going to be any exciting late breaking news about collaboration between AMG and Cig. If there going to keep doing this would be cool to see them really do something with each other rather than put AMG on the side of the boat or put some electric engines into a boat that's not actually functional or ready to use. Just my opinion. Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a big Cig fan. It would be nice to see them come out with some interesting new products.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:18 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Good point... I guess I'm responding, or more or less reacting to the original post. I just doubt that there's going to be any exciting late breaking news about collaboration between AMG and Cig. If there going to keep doing this would be cool to see them really do something with each other rather than put AMG on the side of the boat or put some electric engines into a boat that's not actually functional or ready to use. Just my opinion. Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a big Cig fan. It would be nice to see them come out with some interesting new products.
Yes you are. I know you, and I know that.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
Why promote another company's products? Look at this rapidly growing thread. And without going into specifics, I can tell you that this story ... with just a rendering and very little detail ... is driving significant traffic on speedonthewater.com and its Facebook page. So from a marketing standpoint, I think the "why" is pretty obvious. It creates interest.

Also worth noting ... in no way does the product Cigarette is cross-promoting compete with the product Cigarette is building. It doesn't say Skater or Outerlimits on the side of the boat. It says AMG.

When it comes to the Cigarette-AMG relationship, opinions run strong. (That, too, answers the "why bother" question.) A lot more than once during the years, most recently in a Speed On The Water digital magazine, I've asked Skip Braver point blank if the relationship "sold boats. He answered yes, emphatically, every time. Here's the link to download the magazine with the article in case you missed it, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...download&id=11.

Mr. Braver doesn't open his books to me—for the record no one in the industry does. But here's what I know: For the past five years, Cigarette has tried something different, a strategic alliance with an upscale luxury product manufacturer. Love it or hate, and there's plenty of both and very little in between, the company has taken a different approach in tough economic times. Beyond what Mr. Braver and others have told me (not all in support of course) I have no way to "judge" the success of the alliance. But my opinion of the effort is that at least they've been trying something different and, frankly, aggressive.
I see your point. Hey if it works for him, God bless him.. Worse case he's probably getting a hell of a discount on a new AMG
Old 01-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
I want to see a boat-themed car!
Attached Thumbnails -amphicar.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

My Boat: '03 Lip-ship Gladiator - Purchased (Not from Lip-Ship) w/ worn out Merc's posted on OSO Classifieds and told to me had "Fresh Motors." Wish I would have gotten to Philly's 1 Day Sooner and bought the Gladiator he sold to Tommy!!!

Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a big Cig fan. It would be nice to see them come out with some interesting new products.
I know you, and I know you're SOMETHING... and also a big Cig fan!
Old 01-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Registered
VIP Member

My Boat: Previous 37 OL Current 42 Outerlimits

Cig is trying to drag deep pocketed AMG guys with more money than sense over to the go fast world. I'm sure it's working or they wouldn't keep doing it.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thunderusone View Post
Cig is trying to drag deep pocketed AMG guys with more money than sense over to the go fast world. I'm sure it's working or they wouldn't keep doing it.
Huge difference from a 100-200K AMG car (or $1500 +/- lease) to buying a 1350 powered 46/50 Cigarette! AMG car can be driven in any paved road in America, some areas 12 months a year.......that boat is no where as useful.

I would suspect that Skip has forged a nice relationship to co-brand and sell another boat while sharing the launch/advertising costs with someone that has much deeper pockets.

In my mind the Mercedes MTI was the original MB theme boat! The Cig stuff is just a Cig with an AMG logo on the hull.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser