Notices

42 Fountain 500efi speeds

Old 01-31-2015, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 787 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Bawana
Thats about the dumbest statement I have herd. Maybe you Cig guys run your boats with tabs down dragging all of your haul in the water. And what do you consider "a true 42' boat"??? I know that when I am running fast. not much of my boat is in the water. But I guess you wouldn't know about that... you have a top gun
Yes physics is very dumb concept isn't it. Maybe it's best to compare a 42x to a 42 fountain. When sitting side by side in the water I am willing to bet the waterline on the cigarette is much larger than the fountain. Both because of weight, and actual true running surface (I.e. Not inclusive of a beak and bustle). Now if we assume 1/4 of the boats waterline is actually in the water at wide open that still means the cigarette has more boat in the water. Whether is 1' or 2.5' there is still more boat in the water thus more drag. Is it a huge reason why fountain boats are faster hulls?...no not the whole reason but part of it.

Remind me why this is a dumb concept?
Old 01-31-2015, 02:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
It's important to remember that Reggie Fountain didn't decide to include the swim platform in his length calculations. Every singe boat manufacturer was required to include the platform in the length per USCG regulations. So a Cig or anything else with a molded in platform includes the platform in the advertised length.

So a "true 42' boat" is what? Answer: It depends on if the swim platform is part of the mold.

I'm so sick of hearing this crap. Nuf said.
yes a top gun from tip to end of hull, not inclusive of swim platform is 37' 6" I beleive. The swim platform would add another 1.5' or so.

In the case of my old 292 fastech, formula certainly uses the bustle as part of there measurement. I put a tape measure on it when ordering a trailer. From tip to end of hull it was about 27'. To the end of the swim platform aka bustle was 29'. I don't know if I beleive your Reggie story. The 38's and 42's look significantly shorter than true to length boats.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:53 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
Yes physics is very dumb concept isn't it. Maybe it's best to compare a 42x to a 42 fountain. When sitting side by side in the water I am willing to bet the waterline on the cigarette is much larger than the fountain. Both because of weight, and actual true running surface (I.e. Not inclusive of a beak and bustle). Now if we assume 1/4 of the boats waterline is actually in the water at wide open that still means the cigarette has more boat in the water. Whether is 1' or 2.5' there is still more boat in the water thus more drag. Is it a huge reason why fountain boats are faster hulls?...no not the whole reason but part of it.

Remind me why this is a dumb concept?
Your comments get more ignorant as you go...And physics has noting to do with your comments or your "now if we assume" theory. It only matters how a boat runs on plan, and how much drag it has. NOT how it sits not running... Maybe if you had more power in your Cig you would understand about less boat in the water.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:58 PM
Registered

Your comments get more ignorant as you go...And physics has noting to do with your comments or your "now if we assume" theory. It only matters how a boat runs on plan, and how much drag it has. NOT how it sits not running... Maybe if you had more power in your Cig you would understand about less boat in the water.
I'm an aerospace engineer so no I have no idea what I'm talking about. So yes I'm ignorant, carry on.

And if you are disagreeing a 42x doesn't have more boat in the water than a 42 fountain at wide open...then you need your head examined.

Last edited by 1MOSES1; 01-31-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
I'm an aerospace engineer so no I have no idea what I'm talking about. So yes I'm ignorant, carry on.

And if you are disagreeing a 42x doesn't have more boat in the water than a 42 fountain at wide open...then you need your head examined.
No wonder why our space program it in the crapper.. & admitting to your ignorance is the only fact you have correct. And IF the "make believe 42X "your talking about is going slower then said 42 Fountain... then yes, it will have more boat in the water. What part of going faster makes more boat come out of the water don't you understand?
Old 01-31-2015, 03:33 PM
Registered

No wonder why our space program it in the crapper.. & admitting to your ignorance is the only fact you have correct. And IF the "make believe 42X "your talking about is going slower then said 42 Fountain... then yes, it will have more boat in the water. What part of going faster makes more boat come out of the water don't you understand?
Sadly I understand more than you...you should probably re-read my above posts discussing weight and running surface. Putting equal power and drives on both boats 42x and 42 fountain will result in the fountain going faster. Why?

Because the running surface is shorter on a 42 fountain and because it weighs less. Which has been my point the whole time. But all the fountain owners get there panties in a bunch and instead of reading the comments for what they are...start making assumptions in there own head.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 178 Likes on 66 Posts

Boys, boys, boys, let's get one thing straight. No 42' boat has 42' of running surface actually in contact with the water. And every manufacturer has something of a tapered bow to both make sure the bow rise up and over waves and lessen the running surface. (Which of course reduces drag and increases speed.) But everybody has to measure their boats according to USCG regulations - as Fountain and everybody else does - or did. If the "Fountain beak" was such an advantage in professional offshore racing, more would have been done around rules that reduced that advantage.

And what of some of the last Fountain race hulls built with cut down hull sides that reduced freeboard and weight. The beak was pretty well gone and the stated lengths were indeed shorter. Oh, and they still won.

BTW, although it doesn't have a "beak" the bow on my Progression looks pretty sleek. That must (illegally) reduce the running surface and explain the speed it runs.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea my scarab is pointy too!! Guess it's a 29.
Compare the 42 stag fountain to even the avs38 and the 42 is a solid performer.
Rant over let the douche carry on.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by indysupra
Yea my scarab is pointy too!! Guess it's a 29.
Compare the 42 stag fountain to even the avs38 and the 42 is a solid performer.
Rant over let the douche carry on.
No one is arguing the 42 isn't a good running boat cupcake. Again another instance where people don't read comments and insinuate things in there own head. Sad that you had to compare the 42 to a 38 scarab tho hahaha.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was using your math space genius.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.