Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fatal accident at LOTO Sat. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32266-fatal-accident-loto-sat.html)

mpally 09-03-2002 08:57 PM

Fatal accident at LOTO Sat.

Two 20 year old girls were killed Sat. at the 3MM. Apparently a 32 ft. Envision was leaving Village Marina and the two girls cut in front of them while on a jet ski. The Envision threw the boat in reverse but was unable to avoid hitting the girls. They were killed instantly. First boating related fatalities in 2 yrs.

Audiofn 09-03-2002 09:02 PM

Oh man that is sad to hear. I was amazed in the maner that everyone on that lake seemed to know what was going on for the most part. I was there on the first big weekend with the new no wake zone so there was some confusion however I saw no close calls all weekend. This is sad to read.

Jon

MnFastBoat 09-03-2002 09:04 PM

I heard this over the radio Monday morning :(
Sad to hear.
I know it seemed like my boat was an attraction for the lake lice.
They just tend to go what ever direction the feel like.
Sorry to here.

Steve 1 09-03-2002 09:11 PM

That’s sad 2 lives lost, and maybe future repercussions for the Boating community to live with as well.
Why on land they never would drive a motor Scooter in front of a Large Truck or Train but on water they seem fearless?
:(

MissAmy 09-03-2002 09:15 PM

Very unfortunate and SO sad! :(

There are just too many jet ski's on that lake. And too many underaged / inexperienced drivers. But it will only get worse. :(

Reindl Powerboats 09-03-2002 09:47 PM

:( :(

Sorry to hear this.

dockrocker 09-03-2002 09:49 PM

And I bet the jet-ski was rented... "here ya go, let me just run your daddy's credit card and off you go. Keep it under 50, OK?"

Sad.

Griff 09-03-2002 10:25 PM

Very sad to here. I had a couple lake lice cut in front of me also, but nothing to severe. I do have to say that one of the best jet ski riders I saw down there was about 12 years old. She was in cove we were exploring. I saw her come out of her dock and she was always aware of where we were and never came too close. As were leaving the cove I gave her some big wakes to jump. She gave me a Thank You wave and still never came within a 100 feet of my boat.
Now if everyone had been taught this well I'm sure there would be a lot less accidents and near misses.

Waterfoul 09-03-2002 10:30 PM

Having been to loto several times now, I am saddened but not surprised to hear this. It is truley a shame.:(

Griff, hope the rest of your stay was as good as the first part. It dawned on me after I got home that I never left you any $$ to get me a t-shirt. If you did manage to find me one, let me know what I owe you and I'll send you some cash immediately!!! If not, no big huge deal....I'll get over it....someday......in 2009......

LOL!!!!

Mike

wwwTOPDJcom 09-03-2002 11:28 PM

I stopped by my uncles cottage on the lake found out that my cousins husband helped himself to the new seadoo 1100,
on the way back to the dock he missjudged the distance to the dock ran into it! totaled it and almost killed himself and my uncle,
swimming next to the dock and of course no lifejacket.
I told my uncle NEVER let anyone one touch it without some explanation of it's operation. We really need a lic system for these things. I own a standup. took both jetsmart and boatsmart coastguard approved courses.:rolleyes: