Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New motors and paint?.....or go for new (different) boat? >

New motors and paint?.....or go for new (different) boat?

Notices

New motors and paint?.....or go for new (different) boat?

Old 02-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
Sell it!!!! Not only for the reasons mentioned already, but also keep this in mind - As soon as you get the motors out, you will paint the bilge. Once you get the paint done, then the cockpit will look dated, so add another 7-8K. Once that's done, then the dash looks dated, new gauges and throttles/shifters. Then the cabin looks dated. Then, then, then.....you get the picture. And this doesn't take into account that you will probably have to upgrade your drives in some form or fashion.

I was warned of this before I started my boat remake and wish I had taken the advice of all that said don't do it. Now I have WAY more $$$ than I could possibly ever hope to get out of it. I probably could have bought a close to new #6 boat at this point.

With that said, I do have exactly what I want and know exactly what I've got- motors, drives, rigging, etc. In your situation, you will do all these upgrades and still want a bigger boat. SELL IT!!!!!
this is true x100.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:24 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Sell it. It's my understanding that Mercury only sells their engines in combo with the drives so you're not saving any money there.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't forget drives (can they handle the HP/Torque), steering (to go with new drives), new props for different HP, new headers & exhaust, relocation of stuff to clear big blocks, extra weight of the big blocks changes center of gravity.....

Sell it and buy what you want / can afford. As others have said $30k turns into $60K sooner than later in the end you only have a $50K boat.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Canamman
I think TCBoss302 makes the case...dump it...ultimately, I already know that even with better power and paint, I'll want bigger sooner than later. I've already had the interior redone by Sunsation and there would be those cockpit and bilge upgrades that would have to match everything else. I appreciate all of the inputs.

Blwhiti, does Pier 57 put your boat on consignment or do they buy the boat?

Now to try and sell my boat...

I just sold my boat to Pier 57 on Monday and from the first phone call to the last email confirming the money was wired into my account, the experience was nothing less then top notch service. Scott and Ashley from Pier 57 made it as easy and convienient as possable. The only snag on the process was the 18 inches of snow they got on Sunday. They will also broker your boat.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Registered

Thanks again everyone...I think my mind is made up...selling will ultimately be the best choice even though she's been very reliable...I want bigger and more power...I've been looking at Pier 57 and they have a pretty decent selection...gonna give them a call...some nice Nortechs and a Formula...thanks again..I can only imagine getting into a financial pit that is endless with what Tom A. mentions...the unknown is pretty relentless when it comes to a marine upgrade let alone simple maintenance...
Old 02-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Time for a new boat.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:39 PM
Registered

Keep the thread going and us up to date on your progress
Old 02-05-2015, 05:45 AM
Registered

will do drpete3......contacted Pier 57 yesterday....
Old 02-05-2015, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Canamman
I have a 2002 32' Sunsation with 6.2 liters and have considered putting new crate motors, 496 ho, in place to give it some more power and big block noise and also add a custom paint job. My question is, does replacing the motors tend to be problematic or should I just sell it and go for a different boat? Any advice will be appreciated. BTW, the new boat would be a 36 or 38 with staggered motors...
I'm voting for modifying the platform you already have. The 32 Dominator w/ small block power is a great, well balanced boat. Taking your boat to a reputable engine builder and whippling those small blocks would really turn up the fun factor in your current ride. I bet a top end refreshing and whipple treatment could be done for less than 25K all in both engines. I know of someone who sold his Dominator for a larger Sunny and was disappointed he did. The 32 Dominator w/ a 1000HP is about has fun as you're going to get legally. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:18 AM
Registered

Secondwind, that does sound like a great idea but my problem is wrenching on boats....I don't have the skill set or time to do those things and hitting stock motors with mods scares the $$$ out of me...I want to stay stock Mercs and feel confident running 4-5 hours alone without the fear of blowing a motor...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.