Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is there a way to get a trailer titled after it has been paid for? >

Is there a way to get a trailer titled after it has been paid for?

Notices

Is there a way to get a trailer titled after it has been paid for?

Old 02-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by offshore312
Don't see how you can be charge tax twice on the purchase. Didn't you state that you have a bill of sale for the trailer? The taxes already paid should be shown on the bill of sale. If that is the case, you may pay a penalty for non applying for title in the allotted time frame, (15 days in Michigan) plus cost of title. Only way you'd pay tax on the trailer twice is if you can't substantiate that you've already paid them.

No official bill of sale.

I have an email saying, pay $X amount and that total amount is $X trailer and $X taxes..
Old 02-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Last edited by Speedracer29; 02-03-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nate, I can't imagine the manufacturer sent a trailer to a dealer without a title or Certificate of origin. Is that an American trailer?? I would drive over there and put a foot in someones ass.

I live in SC and like most states we don't require a title or registration. I know you would like to have your paperwork straight for the sale but I wouldn't sweat it. I built a trailer for my 36 Outlaw and it was a beast, registered that trailer as home built with a couple receipts and it was easy. I had to take it and weigh it then registered it. NY is a pain in the azzz so it can be done.Fla should be a breeze...............

Dealer is a douche manufacturer should provide paperwork.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by plumbers crack
Nate, I can't imagine the manufacturer sent a trailer to a dealer without a title or Certificate of origin. Is that an American trailer?? I would drive over there and put a foot in someones ass.

I live in SC and like most states we don't require a title or registration. I know you would like to have your paperwork straight for the sale but I wouldn't sweat it. I built a trailer for my 36 Outlaw and it was a beast, registered that trailer as home built with a couple receipts and it was easy. I had to take it and weigh it then registered it. NY is a pain in the azzz so it can be done.Fla should be a breeze...............

Dealer is a douche manufacturer should provide paperwork.

It is Real X Trailers in south FL

I am not sweating it too much (trying not too lol). Just don't want to run off a sale cause of it is all.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Go register it as a homemade trailer.......no title needed.

or if you want to be a ball buster, go to the DMV with your receipt/cashed check and say you paid the tax to the dealer and they must have not turned it over to the state.......huge sh!tstorm for the trailer dealer!
Old 02-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
No official bill of sale.

I have an email saying, pay $X amount and that total amount is $X trailer and $X taxes..
Do you have a check made out to (and cashed by) the seller? What I'm getting at is that IF you have email from them with VIN for the trailer, that also states cost & distribution of funds, and IF you have a check to same party that has been cashed, you should have enough to show that you have paid tax on the trailer. Biggest issue I see is IF you do not have any correspondence that relates to your trailer's VIN with the amounts for trailer & taxes, you'll have nothing to show you've paid tax on that particular trailer.

Last edited by offshore312; 02-03-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Go register it as a homemade trailer.......no title needed.

or if you want to be a ball buster, go to the DMV with your receipt/cashed check and say you paid the tax to the dealer and they must have not turned it over to the state.......huge sh!tstorm for the trailer dealer!
+1 wonder if the dealer decide to keep the tax $$ and NEVER forwarded it to the state. That might be why they are not returning calls...
Old 02-03-2015, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
It is Real X Trailers in south FL

I am not sweating it too much (trying not too lol). Just don't want to run off a sale cause of it is all.
Worst case when you have a solid sale on the Sonic and you haven't figured this situation out buy a trailer it for it and stay with this one for your next boat. If your next boat has a trailer than sell the one it comes with and stay with this one. Not a biggie nor worth sweating over it. GLWS
Old 02-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshore312
+1 wonder if the dealer decide to keep the tax $$ and NEVER forwarded it to the state. That might be why they are not returning calls...

This was the boat dealer and not the trailer dealer that the issue is with. Knowing the dealer, their size, and their rep. I would assume it was paid and done proper.

However now that time has passed I think it is a far back burner issue for them and seems like a burden at this point since my boat sale is far past.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 02-03-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call the dmv on that dealer and file a complaint. here in nc it is illegal to sell a trailer or car without title, and that's effectively what they did do you. They will get a fine and then get you a plate and registration pretty quick. That's some shady stuff right there. I got a fine as a dealer because I lost a title and it took me 31 days from the day I sold the car to the day I took the title and paperwork into the dmv to get their plate. Call the DMV and make it a pain in the ass for the dealer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.