Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stupid Prop Question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32277-stupid-prop-question.html)

puder 09-03-2002 11:54 PM

Stupid Prop Question

Just cus i'ma spaz i wanted todouble check standard bravo rotation is righthand right??? Seeing as my new engein is on its way I will be needing a different prop. I had a 19p Mirage+ with 1.32 gears on an alpha drive witha 330HP BBC.

I now will have a 550hp BBC with a 1.5 bravo. I think the 19p is gonna be WAY to small I figure i will need a about 26p bravo1. I figure that is a good starting point. What is the pitch difference between a Hydro and Bravo. I was also thinking i might try one of those older merc 5 blades. Were they decent or crap. I am looking for a fast cruise not all out speed.

With the old drive engine setup the boat felt much better with the mirage+ than the plain old mirage.

But my stupid question is i need to buy a right hand rotation prop.

laster 09-04-2002 07:38 AM

Actuallly, with a Bravo drive you can turn it either way. Preferred is right hand. I expect you will probably want something smaller than the 26 but that is just a guess. Remember you will probably have a difference in RPMs to consider as well as the gear and horsepower changes. A Hydromotive prop will seem to have more pirch compared to a Bravo because of the way each is measured. A 24 Bravo should run in the vicinity of 70 depending on RPM and slip. Keep us posted.

sean stinson 09-04-2002 07:58 AM

Puder

My brother laster is right you can spin it either way.....26 is way to small though bro....On the factory boats were running 28-33 pitch props.....Now then have I gotta surprise for you stud! I happen to have something very unique that i want you to try out.....Is it a big shaft bravo or small shaft bravo?????? Call me 856 498-9606.......Don't call until thursday though as I am about to walk that isle brother.......

Sean

puder 09-04-2002 01:05 PM

good luck with the wedding!!!!

are you going to be at the NYC race???

hotbeek 09-04-2002 01:37 PM

puder,

What kind of rpms do you want to run ? or what kind of rpms will the motor run ? You have a single engine application correct ?! What length boat ?

I have a single 550HP Baja, 28'. I run a Mirage Plus 25, @5000rpms. I ran a Bravo 1 24 @ the same rpms. You may want to get your hands on a Bravo 1 26 and run it(try it before you buy it). See what it does for you. I run the Mirage Plus because speed was a bigger concern. The Bravo 1 's will defintely give a better "cruise" and hole shot.

I think a twin application could use larger pitch props (28-33).

puder 09-04-2002 04:53 PM

my WOT should be about 5300.

but my cruise RPM is 4500-4700. That is were the VE numbers are the best BUT 4700 is kind of high.

the boat is a 26' scarab excel single 550hp 454.