Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
CMI and Miss GEICO Crew Chief Partner On New Headers For Mercury Racing QC4v Engines >

CMI and Miss GEICO Crew Chief Partner On New Headers For Mercury Racing QC4v Engines

Notices

CMI and Miss GEICO Crew Chief Partner On New Headers For Mercury Racing QC4v Engines

Old 02-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see a BIG advantage as the pictures appear like you are still running a log, it's just a log made of tubing instead of a casting, time will tell?
Old 02-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably great for racing applications...I bought my set up to last. I'm not touching it!
Old 02-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

......one thing is certain...if you want the best racing technology on your own equipment ....follow our lead.

Words of wisdom for offshore racing, however, I'm with Chattviper

Last edited by 39 Unlimited; 02-09-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 446 Likes on 244 Posts

Being water jacked and quite long you are cooling the exaust and losing energy (turbos love hot to extract the energy) why not move the turbos down closer to the ports like the W16 and a few other german engines this is an AGM based engine correct? it would be prefered to get the turbo s tight to the head and extend the compressor outlet tube to the intercooler or is their clearance issues with the hull ? if mounting is the issue how about turning the heads around and exaust into the V with intake on the outside the new porche has it and with todays technology it might be a better set up the exaust would be tight and hot and a very compact package...... food for thought and not impossible to do with todays cnc machining ability and a pair of billet heads would really add to the bling factor!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the intent was to only duplicate the path and restrictions in the stock Merc Manifolds but in Stainless and not to try to improve them?!?! I have been involved in Header design on everything from big inch N/A and Nitrous motors, Twin Turbo and Single turbo motors, Screw and Roots blown motors and this design missed a ton of opportunities for gains in flow and charge velocity to the turbo. this would all result in help with spooling and power. Im sure they were meant just to replace the Stock Merc Manifolds with SS vs Aluminum and not for performance gains to keep on Merc Warranty's good side.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Its so funny that so many uneducated haters out there can't wait to cry about CMI headers. Do ya really think Geico just wanted to blow money?? No, there are several problems with the stock exhaust on the QC4v motors; I know, Merc Racing knows, Geico, and several others also know what they are..... So you go and have the best in the business make you something that will hold up, now if you drive like the only thing hanging between your legs is a tampon string... then the stock manifolds will probably hold up for you. And as far as CMI's being leakers well if you don't over heat them, flush them when used in salt, and plumb enough water to them, they do work... Most that cry about them didn't even buy them new.. they were someone elses used up, not taking care of stuff.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bawana
Its so funny that so many uneducated haters out there can't wait to cry about CMI headers. Do ya really think Geico just wanted to blow money?? No, there are several problems with the stock exhaust on the QC4v motors; I know, Merc Racing knows, Geico, and several others also know what they are..... So you go and have the best in the business make you something that will hold up, now if you drive like the only thing hanging between your legs is a tampon string... then the stock manifolds will probably hold up for you. And as far as CMI's being leakers well if you don't over heat them, flush them when used in salt, and plumb enough water to them, they do work... Most that cry about them didn't even buy them new.. they were someone elses used up, not taking care of stuff.
i reread this from post one,maybe i missed it but i did not see one person bad rapping cmi.i have cmi,s on my boat that are 16 years old and to date have had no issues so my comment certianly was no slam on cmi.i also disagree about the people responding are uneducated haters,as you put it and i believe some of the posters are very educated and do know what they are talking about.do i think geico just wants to blow money,no i don,t.imo the design of the exhaust system needs to be addressed .i will also say that this system is nothing like the traditional cmi header.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Was not referring to you Mike.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bawana
Was not referring to you Mike.
i did not think you were ,im just saying it is a design flaw that cmi probibally can,t fix with a ss replacement manifold/header.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i did not think you were ,im just saying it is a design flaw that cmi probibally can,t fix with a ss replacement manifold/header.
oh yes it is.. . This is by no means new technology to CMI, Twin turbo stuff has been around a long time, and they have built several different styles, for alot of different companies, builders, and racers. Problem is cost & Who wants to pony up????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.