Notices

8.2 hot exhaust

Old 02-15-2015, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8.2 hot exhaust

Any one having any problems with the new 8.2 engine with cats in the exhaust getting way too hot .?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:32 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

There is some cases of it and are you getting an alarm and or a fault code especially showing on the scan ?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:23 AM
Registered

No alarm runs good. but the exhaust manifolds are getting so hot they are burning off the paint . Not the bottom area by the head bolts .
but on the top area .water temp is good just the exhaust manifolds are way too hot . this engine has 20 hours on it .
The impeller is good and it has water flowing thru the exhaust .
Old 02-16-2015, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If the engine only has 20 hours - take it back to Mercury under warranty- or at least call them. If it is getting so hot to burn off the paint then over time the surrounding area materials will likewise be effected- sounds like a safety issue to me. If Mercury says that's normal -- get that in writing. And I wouldn't succumb to variations on their part - like keep the bilge fan on at all times - or it's the design of the boat - not getting enough air exchanges. The bilge of a boat has air volume requirements - especially if a boat is CE marked- that mark indicated that the design met these requirements.

We all know that a catalytic converter gets pretty hot -- its part of the chemical reaction going on - but this sounds excessive.

Keep us posted and above all be safe

3pointstar
Old 02-16-2015, 07:37 AM
Registered

for sure get a scan of pcm.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a pretty interesting thread going on over at Riverdavesplace.com concerning excessive heating with 8.2 cats on a new boat.

OR
Old 02-16-2015, 09:31 AM
Registered

yes at riverdavesplace the boat had a fire .
Trying to find more people with this problem.
I had contacted Mercury already ,Just didn't put there part in yet (winter months) .That part as I read it didn't work well.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the cats need to be around 600 to 800 degrees before they are able to work correctly so that heat internally at the cat needs to be maintained and at times can be hotter than that especially if there is a problem. The exhaust manifolds & risers are still water jacketed and should not be blistering hot, they will run a tad hotter than what you are use to but should not be burning hot nor blistering paint.

There is test ports in the manifold / riser for emission testing and you can take 02 readings if you wanted to FYI. You need to take your boat to a certified / warranty Mercruiser shop who is current with their training to have it looked at and scanned.

You could have a water flow problem, or a lean running condition or a problem with CAT substrake itself. If the CAT substrake becomes restricted or contaminated or damaged in anyway or shape it will cause problems especially causing heat related problems. There is a lot more info about these systems than what I wrote as this is the basic jist info, you would be way better off not to run the boat / engine and have it looked at ASAP.

2 things that can be real easy on the spot that kill a CAT (there is more) 1 - is running the boat out of gas and the other is water reversion or water leak hitting the cat substrake. There is more things that can hurt them or degrade them but the 2 biggest problems I have seen is what I just mentioned.

Last edited by BUP; 02-16-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Hmmm, we have a 2014 Regal 27 Fasdeck with an 8.2 and the port side has gotten excessively hot. It has burnt the thru hull pipe and even burned in some areas where it edits the hull.

Stbd Side normal
[ATTACH=CONFIG]537512[/ATTACH]

Port side you can see burning under the salt. Need to get a better picture after engine was rinsed off
[ATTACH=CONFIG]537513[/ATTACH]

Port side where it's burnt the side of the hull
[ATTACH=CONFIG]537514[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 8.2 hot exhaust-image.jpg   8.2 hot exhaust-image.jpg   8.2 hot exhaust-image.jpg  

8.2 hot exhaust-image.jpg  
Old 02-22-2015, 11:12 PM
Registered

Wow, same thing as mine ,The port side running very hot.I know 4 other boats same problem ..
I have talked to Mercury .They don't want to say it is a problem ,But it is .
The exhaust tip where turning the stainless yellow on mine. and burning paint on the elbow .
I was told to bring it back to the builder to get get a claim going .before a fire starts. (already did on another boat ).
I only have 22 hours it also a 2014 four other boat are also 2014. Hmmmmmm
I will try to post a picture on here .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.