Notices

Hey Hacker!

Old 02-19-2015, 08:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SinOjos
Not disin APF, but it is only a front end for iptables. One is is better off learning iptables rules and writing them yourself, as front ends simply do not encompass all the possibilities. Though, a front end does help a beginner get up and running right away without a catastrophic mistake.

People should be running a router/modem with firewall then a dedicated firewall and intrusion detection device like Untangle then a firewall on each computer in the lan.

Simple matter of making it difficult enough, they will move on to an easier fish to fry.

Untangle is open source (free), with paid for components for more advanced needs.

https://untangle.com

The pre-built devices they sell are a bit pricey. Use an old computer or a $200 micro computer to run untangle which will suffice for most home small business needs.

Plenty of help in the forums. Ofcourse it is Linux with iptables, along with other components that can be loaded depending on your needs.
Whatever you said sounds very complex and important. Does it apply to my Radio Shack TRS-80 Home Computer?
Old 02-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SinOjos
Not disin APF, but it is only a front end for iptables. One is is better off learning iptables rules and writing them yourself, as front ends simply do not encompass all the possibilities. Though, a front end does help a beginner get up and running right away without a catastrophic mistake.

People should be running a router/modem with firewall then a dedicated firewall and intrusion detection device like Untangle then a firewall on each computer in the lan.

Simple matter of making it difficult enough, they will move on to an easier fish to fry.

Untangle is open source (free), with paid for components for more advanced needs.

https://untangle.com

The pre-built devices they sell are a bit pricey. Use an old computer or a $200 micro computer to run untangle which will suffice for most home small business needs.

Plenty of help in the forums. Ofcourse it is Linux with iptables, along with other components that can be loaded depending on your needs.
APF is what the host installs on the machines and manages a section of the firewall, I set the definitions in iptables. APF is on the daily cron to restart, and since the host tweaks it, that's how I run it. I also make an ssh tunnel on an odd port and lock out 22.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quick2500
APF is what the host installs on the machines and manages a section of the firewall, I set the definitions in iptables. APF is on the daily cron to restart, and since the host tweaks it, that's how I run it. I also make an ssh tunnel on an odd port and lock out 22.
Yep, me too.