Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
why isn't their more O/B go fasts >

why isn't their more O/B go fasts

Notices

why isn't their more O/B go fasts

Old 02-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

There were boat builders that built with outboard power years ago..but at the time there really were no high performance outboards that put out enough torque for larger sport boats greater than 28' in length. Most of those boats were 65mph-70mph boats. In the past 5-7 years some of the that survived the economy bubble burst have built sport boats with more modern high performance outboards. Checkmate's 2800OBX (true 28' with no swim platform) with twin 300xs runs into the 90's. Concept came out with a sport boat a few years back with twin 300xs's. Velocity built their 30' "SUB" with twin 300xs's that ran really well. With the new Mercury 400R's and 7 Marine motors that now exist, I'm sure we'll see some boat builders putting outboards on high performance closed deck V-Bottoms. DCB just built a cat with 400R's!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE
There were boat builders that built with outboard power years ago..but at the time there really were no high performance outboards that put out enough torque for larger sport boats greater than 28' in length. Most of those boats were 65mph-70mph boats. In the past 5-7 years some of the that survived the economy bubble burst have built sport boats with more modern high performance outboards. Checkmate's 2800OBX (true 28' with no swim platform) with twin 300xs runs into the 90's. Concept came out with a sport boat a few years back with twin 300xs's. Velocity built their 30' "SUB" with twin 300xs's that ran really well. With the new Mercury 400R's and 7 Marine motors that now exist, I'm sure we'll see some boat builders putting outboards on high performance closed deck V-Bottoms. DCB just built a cat with 400R's!
Why wouldn't a triple 350 Verado 37 AT run just as fast as a twin 525 boat? Not sure if 3 vrods will fit across the transom of a 37 AT?
Old 02-21-2015, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Jupiter said, DCB's new M-29 with twin 400's, also Nordic has a cat with twin 300's. I believe we be seeing more performance boats with twins now that manufactures are producing higher HP outboards. Less maintenance cost to the outboards is looking attractive these days. General maintenance can be done by yourself.

Last edited by WTDecker; 02-21-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Registered

Outboards = Import Cars
BBC = American Muscle Cars

Not trying to offend the outboard guys but there is not replacement for the sound of a BBC or three.

Last edited by vogepm; 02-21-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

What in the design of the outboards make them so much more maintenance free then say a modern LS motor?

No outboards are closed cooled are there?
Old 02-21-2015, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

If Nortech can take a wide beam, 39' long, non-aerodynamic center console and get it to run 97mph with four Mercury 400R's, I would think that a true closed deck, 8'6" beam, performance boat could run close in speed with twin 400's..or maybe tripples. Until the performance boat builders jump on board the outboard motor trend we'll have to wait and see. If I could afford a pair of 400R's, they would be hanging off the transom of my classic Checkmate 2800SX and I could almost guarantee the boat would run into the 90's!!!
Old 02-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Registered

Alot of good points here. But, will these boats hold their value in say 20 years? What happens when these 300-400hp outboars are all blown up? With any inboard boat, jimmy the shade tree mechanic can pop an automotive based big or small block chevy into his old resin bucket and go boating. Thats what i did and many of my friends did. Budget boat with accessable and affordable parts.

I hear alot of talk about ease of maintenance and how its cheaper to maintain an outboard. But how about in the long run? How much is a major overhaul on a big outboard?

I know im really speaking for the "black motor" crowd here but i still think its pretty cool that with a motor originally out of a dump truck, a few bucks, and a Jegs catalogue you can do some pretty cool stuff. I think its because of this reason that alot of older I/O hulls find their way back onto the water. At least around here...
Old 02-21-2015, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by vogepm
Outboards = Import Cars

Not trying to offend the outboard guys but there is not replacement for the sound of a BBC or three.

yes there is.

being out every weekend and not in the bilge fixing broken parts more often than not. The sounds is great but missing out cause of repairs is not worth it.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by vogepm
Outboards = Import Cars

You do realize American Muscle cars got really bad from about 1974-1992 right? I only pick 1992 because the Vettes were 300 HP, the Viper was out, etc. Other than the Grand Nationals (6 cyl turbos) I can't think of any muscle car left out of that 18 year gap. Corvettes/Camaros/Mustangs were 200 HP +/- in those gap years.

While I do generally agree with your sentiment, there were quite a few laughable years in American muscle car history.....
Old 02-21-2015, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
What in the design of the outboards make them so much more maintenance free then say a modern LS motor?

No outboards are closed cooled are there?
Can anyone answer this one? I always here that they never break but why not? What's in the design that makes them so much better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.