Speed boat simulator in development

Notices

Speed boat simulator in development

Old 02-26-2015, 10:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Wasson
Hi, folks. I hope you'll forgive the non-offshore boating nature of my first post here. I'm developing a speed boat simulator that some people here might find interesting:

http://www.performancesimulations.co...oat-simulator/

There's no demo yet. Hopefully in the next few months I'll have something people with a decent gaming rig can try for free and buy at a reasonable price.

I'd love to get some feedback from you guys. Let me know what you think, you might even influence how it develops! Feel free to leave comments and questions in this thread or on the web site itself. If there's no interest in smaller speed boats here, let me know and I'll move along to calmer waters.

Mods: If this isn't the right forum for this, let me know and I'll delete and repost this somewhere else (or you can just move it as you see fit). I figured the "general boating discussion" area might be as good a place as any.
Tres Martin is the guy to ask.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Lott
To make it even more like the real thing make sure they break all the time, and if you can collect two of them then they are both broke at the same time.

And also put in some shady mechanics that rip you off until you find a good one.
Multiple broken boats and a douche bag of a person who was supposed to make on of ours turn key reliable yet failed miserably. Sounds about right ha. First world problems.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:56 PM
Registered

This looks awsome !!! I would get into sim just for this an online racing league would be sweet!! Also like others were saying more customization of motors and paint schemes maybe even a campaign mode where once you hit certain achievement you unlock new motors or drives start out as a local river racer and work your way to f1 and then to opa or a large offshore organization that mite be making it to much like a video game but i think it would be a good storyline and keep people attentions
Old 02-26-2015, 08:24 PM
Registered

VERY COOL!! I don't normally like video games and simulators much, but this is awesome. I hope it's successful and profitable for you.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:56 PM
Registered
VIP Member

make it in a race environment and you would have hundreds of buyers... All the wannabe's (myself included) who would kill for a chance to race offshore boats except their wife saying NO and their life insurance rider not paying the kids if they end up slick side up!!!
Old 02-26-2015, 10:05 PM
Registered

i really like the jet boat course idea. that looks a lot of fun for a video game. i would believe offshore races would just get boring. most people who play video games need something fast paced and that could be a super cool way of doing it you could also set it up for a car driving sim so you can use hot food... you just then need hot girls and its the PERFECT GAME
Old 03-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Registered

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. There are a lot of good ideas here from game modes to different boats and so on. I'll keep it in mind.

Big waves and offshore boats will be out of the question for the first release unfortunately. If I do waves, I don't want it to work like most boat games where the boats don't actually affect the water. To do it properly like I'd like to would take a long time, so for starters at least I'll be sticking with the gentle lakes and rivers. Otherwise I might be at this for several more years before having anything available to play with.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea, but I'm leaning toward doing the first release with just smaller outboards, then if there's enough interest (sales) move on to other types of boats like inboards and jets. Will see how it goes, if things are popular enough to warrant it, perhaps offshore with the big waves could be an option some day.

Hot girls: I thought of this too, sex sells after all. It's not too hard to add some babes laying or dancing around on the beaches here and there. Maybe I'll do that, if nothing else it'd be good box art. Maybe a nudie or two could be hidden somewhere as Easter Eggs.

If any of you think of anything else, don't hesitate to speak up!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I remember playing shipsim a few years ago with the fountain they had.The adjustability for seastate and weather was great but their was no way to make a racecourse or compete which really limited the game. You could really go nuts in some big water though....

You should probably benchmark shipsim. It had a lot of potential, just not enough competition to really catch on and take hold. You would be wise to figure put why we all arent virtual boating on ship sim during the offseason, address that then get us hooked,

Last edited by phragle; 03-03-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Registered

Good advice, thanks. I have looked at ShipSim a few times over the years, most recently I bought the latest one on Steam Early Access: European Ship Simulator. It's great at capturing the feeling of the big ships. That only has one small boat in it at this stage (more will probably come later), but I wasn't particularly impressed with the physics on that. There doesn't seem to be much there in the way of planed physics or aerodynamics.

It does waves and buoyancy in those waves really well though, so when puttering around at low speeds in big ships it's quite convincing and does a good job. The rain/storm effects are good, I enjoyed driving the ships at night during storms.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Registered

New video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os07IiyGYnA

Last edited by Todd Wasson; 03-05-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.