Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat dealership and floor plans? >

Boat dealership and floor plans?

Notices

Boat dealership and floor plans?

Old 02-27-2015, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Boat dealership and floor plans?

How does it work do you buy the boat and have it sit on the floor? Who owns the boat when it sits on the floor or at the boat show? I was just wondering how it works? Thanks just waiting for winter to be over
Old 02-27-2015, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

You have a short term interest only payment on it each month. Like most financed things, the dealer owns it, bank has a note on it.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Pretty sure big floor planning options are gone......which is why there are hardly any new go fast dealers!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Follow the money--
if you pay cash - amount in full -- you own it

If you take a loan - technically the loan facility owns the item

3pointstar
Old 02-27-2015, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My local marina pays cash for his boats to get the best deal from the manufacturer. They are pontoon and deck boats but still some coin when you talk about 50 of them.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joew.
My local marina pays cash for his boats to get the best deal from the manufacturer. They are pontoon and deck boats but still some coin when you talk about 50 of them.
Marina would be a nice setup.
Most require slip payments by early season which leaves significant working capital to finance the floor plan for a couple months.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by boomer
How does it work do you buy the boat and have it sit on the floor? Who owns the boat when it sits on the floor or at the boat show? I was just wondering how it works? Thanks just waiting for winter to be over
i presume its like any car dealer or high end jeweler...the dealer has to pay the vendor to have items sit on the show room floow/show case. whether they pay cash or take loans thru a bank is dependent of the dealers business practices.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

In Canada.... most dealer floor planning is financed... paying juice till it sells.... however if the dealer goes broke generally the manufacturer is then on the hook for the entire pymt to the bank or finance company..... basically the manufacturer guarantees the paper
Old 02-27-2015, 04:22 PM
VIP Member

New boats/New cars are floor planned, so dealer is just paying a monthly fee . Any used inventory is usually dealer owned. But some/most dealers are now floor planning used cars due to high inventory values. All the parts in the parts dept. are dealer owned as well. Been in car biz over 35 years.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:40 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

GE capital was or is the main player for boat dealership floor plans. Some boat manu's will pay for the dealer monthly interest from the floor plans up to 6 months depending on orders in hope to push faster sales and recieve more boat orders thru out spring and summer months. Boat manu's really like to push hard for fall and winter new boat orders offering whatever deals, plus most of the big dealer boatshows are in Jan & Feb to get sales rolling early plus get some of those floor plans paid along with getting rid of left over stock that did not sell the year before.

90% of boat dealers that still have credit are floored planned for the their new in stock boat inventory. I use to carry new boats along with a floor plan and know the drill.

Last edited by BUP; 02-27-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.