Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Forward-facing Volvo Penta stern drive (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/323718-forward-facing-volvo-penta-stern-drive.html)

BUP 03-06-2015 01:19 PM

Basically this type of boat using the Volvo facing drive has positive results across the board from planning, tracking, acceleration, and docking. Top speed I can not say because I had no apples to apple comparison. I will say it seem the boat was more planted and seemed to handle rough water better than this type of boat using the standard sterndrive. The big negitives are trailering and clearances while trailering. Next one is impacts in the water of the props and drive.

If you really look at it, not much worse than the current wakeboard boat with impacts in the water plus trailering clearances. I do see possible higher repair costs depending on impacts with the Volvo. I would wonder if the boat builder adapted a fin or fins like a lot of wakeboard boats have midship if that would help avoid impact damages to the props and drive as acting like a deflector. Just saying.

keep in mind a lot of wakeboard boats are getter bigger and deeper plus carry a ton of ballast plus those apps always have a lot of people aboard. The prop under the hull sits pretty deep in the water as well.

Knot 4 Me 03-06-2015 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Me thinks I'd have a slight problem with this unit on my back-on lift.

C_Spray 03-06-2015 02:45 PM

Volvo clearly says that there is no performance gain versus a conventional sterndrive, just more adjustability to the boat's wake performance versus a shaft drive. There are over sixteen thousand (16,000) Volvo forward-facing IPS inboard pod systems out there, and debris strikes have not proven to be a major issue. When you're looking at replacing shafts and struts, those aren't cheap either.

Anyway - I just like to see creative thinking at work.

It's also kind of cool that it was introduced without all sorts of smoke, flashing lights and fanfare. Matt Trulio - Were you at the intro in Miami on February 11?

onesickpantera 03-06-2015 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by BUP (Post 4274833)
Basically this type of boat using the Volvo facing drive has positive results across the board from planning, tracking, acceleration, and docking. Top speed I can not say because I had no apples to apple comparison. I will say it seem the boat was more planted and seemed to handle rough water better than this type of boat using the standard sterndrive. The big negitives are trailering and clearances while trailering. Next one is impacts in the water of the props and drive.

If you really look at it, not much worse than the current wakeboard boat with impacts in the water plus trailering clearances. I do see possible higher repair costs depending on impacts with the Volvo. I would wonder if the boat builder adapted a fin or fins like a lot of wakeboard boats have midship if that would help avoid impact damages to the props and drive as acting like a deflector. Just saying.

keep in mind a lot of wakeboard boats are getter bigger and deeper plus carry a ton of ballast plus those apps always have a lot of people aboard. The prop under the hull sits pretty deep in the water as well.

I agree. For what they are using/marketing it for I think it's a great option.

Wildman_grafix 03-06-2015 04:22 PM

Compared to direct or V drives it should help with docking and trim. I see that.

My question is why would it be better then a conventional Outdrive? Is it just the clean water?

High Cetane 03-06-2015 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 4274917)
My question is why would it be better then a conventional Outdrive? Is it just the clean water?

Wildman...Its a safety issue. Wake surfing with conventional is a no-no. I'm told actually illegal in some states.

JaayTeee 03-06-2015 07:43 PM

I've got to wonder if this has a home in the twin engine I/O cruiser market ?

My v drive cruiser friends say the v drives are better around the docks than I/O's

Wildman_grafix 03-06-2015 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by High Cetane (Post 4274960)
Wildman...Its a safety issue. Wake surfing with conventional is a no-no. I'm told actually illegal in some states.

Didn't know that. We grew up with straight inboards, the closest we would get was off the barefoot boom or when we would step off the swim with our trick skis.

BUP 03-06-2015 09:03 PM

you would never want to surf behind an outboard board or a sterndrive.. I will say some do with a sterndrive boat that has a very long extended swim platform on them or one that was added on.

Watch the vid as many of the surfers are only 3 to 8 ft behind the boat. Not good when props come into play. Couple of vids one right after the other. Wake surfing is the lastest craze. Seems like everyone under 40 all way down to kids want to wake surf and that's another reason why 100 K wakeboard boats sell.

Its not for me but I know - use to sell wakeboard boats. Not a hard sale especially if it is a darn Malibu. The way to beat Malibu for sales was big discounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7axkSvrJU

BUP 03-06-2015 09:17 PM

I talked with the engineers at Volvo in great lengths about the outdrive cooling water intakes as the props are directly in front of them spinning creating air pockets / cavitation and or blow out. Asked them how well can you keep the engine cooled putting the outdrive thru all kinds of paces on the water ?

They told me not an issue at all as they tested with under water cameras to watch water flow from the props to the water inlet intakes in the outdrive plus they monitored water pressure and engine temps exclusively during many hours of water testing.

When I drove the boat I kept watching the water temp gauge and tried to see if I could fluctuate it by trimming and turning the boat hard lefts and rights along with all different throttle settings. The darn water temp never moved nor even in reverse. Anyways water / engine temps and cooling was the first thing that came to mind as soon as I seen the outdrive in person.