Towing with the new H2 Hummer!

Old 09-05-2002, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nooooooooo Prooooooblem!I tow my 8000 lb 28 APACHE with a Mazda Miata
Old 09-05-2002, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's gonna leave a little yellow mark..somewhere..
... and big brown stains somewhere else
Old 09-05-2002, 03:21 PM
AttitudeAdjusta

I wouldn't even try that with my H1. It takes a 1 ton dually to tow my 35'. Good luck

Old 09-05-2002, 04:03 PM
Registered

Lightbulb BIG KAHUNNAS

Anything over 8500lbs. without a dually is asking for it! Let's just say for instance, The brakes stopped working....Make sure you tell him to duck when the blenders come past!!!!!!!!!!! [COLOR=limegreen]
Old 09-05-2002, 04:08 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Well, I can tell you from personal experience that big boat and short truck = boat on side in grass. Years ago when I was young, 1981 or so I used to tow my 36 cig around with a 1975 Blazer, this was a full size one, you know the same sheet metal as a Dually or Suburban. Equalizer hitch, built trans, big block. Had no problem as far as getting the rig moving but every lane change or passing truck was an adventure.

My buddy Jim Gaffrig (god bless his departed soul) was driving, we were heading down to Ft Lauderdale for our annual migration just outside of Bowling Green Kentucky when I woke as the whole rig was oscillating back and fourth across all 4 lanes, it did this a couple of times, worse on every cycle and BAM we slid sideways into the median. The boat wound up on it's side, the Blazer almost went over. The trailer really did a job on the rear quarter and tailgate.

The good news is that we weren't hurt, and much to my amazement the only damage to the boat was grass stains on the cover. We did however brake a few bottles of the 12 cases of champagne we had in the cockpit.

12 hours later after straightening the trailer axles, new wheels, new front spindle on the truck and a bit of swearing we were on the road again, moving much slower this time.

That was the last time the Blazer pulled that boat.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:18 PM
Registered

Default HFN- He's f'n nuts!!!

The H2 is actually stouter than a tahoe, has a beefier tranny and i think a 14 bolt rear but it is still no match for that setup.

One thing that helps (but it's deceiving) is that with the very short rear overhang the hitch weight gets a lot closer to the rear axle, making it handle more like a gooseneck. With that said it probably tows better than a lot of other rigs- at its weight limit.

The short overhang also makes it look like it's handling the tongue weight well even though it may have way to much on it.

He's asking for trouble if he tows that boat out of the boatyard!
Old 09-05-2002, 05:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

With all of that weight right behind the rear axle; I would be surpised if at a quick take off, that H2 does not do a wheelstand. I forsee a giant teeter-todder effect.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I know this was probably meant as a joke, but, Just remember, lifes too short, enjoy that Tiger, we have had enough boating accidents and fatalities this year, I wouldnt want anything else to happen.

THE CONCENSES ARE: NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 06:57 PM
pimpthis.com
Charter Member

Might want to think about a Topkick.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:06 PM
Duila38

Default Let Thou Educate !!!!!!This H2

What Jeffrey failed to tell you was that this H2 is being equiped with an Eaton Supercharger, new Computer, and exhaust, this will boost Horsepower to 470 and Torque to about 580lbs.

For those of you that havent stood next to an H2, its about as wide as a dually and has much more stability in the front. It also weighs more than a 3/4 ton Suburban 4x4 at 6700lbs, shares the same transmission, and has a more intense frame structure. The transfer case is a Borg warner, with a crawl ratio of 33.1, running on a set of 35 12.50x18 Mudders!!!!!!!

So Common guys, I think I'll wait a couple of hours for you to CATCH UP! before I order you a Vodka Cranberry while im waiting for you at the London Bridge Hotel staring at my Tiger in the water!

Quick Reply: Towing with the new H2 Hummer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.