Towing with the new H2 Hummer!

Old 09-05-2002, 10:42 PM
DJD
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(In my best "Haans & Fraanz" voice)
"Trust me now, believe me later..........."
Jack knife city!!!!!
You can tow a 42 with a Yugo. It's turning/brake situation that makes a tow vehicle.
I tow my 38 Cig and our 37 Outerlimits "Wild Child" thousands of miles a year & am very good at it. BUT, even the most experienced driver has stumbled into a hairy situation when the tow vehicle has saved them.
I could tell you a few stories but I won't bore everyone.
The Hummer is cool but not good for long distance towing
Old 09-05-2002, 10:44 PM
FOUNDER and BG1
Charter Member

Just what I thought! The consensus seems to be a strong possibility of "CigHum mashed potatoes" at the bottom of the grade!

P.S. His first trip is already planned. 200 miles to Lake Havasu!!
Old 09-05-2002, 11:16 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

6 wheel disc brakes with electric over hyd is the only way u could get me to drive it! "surge=jacknife" good brake controller you would be ok that is only if you have electric or electric over hyd.
as far as Im concerned you tow vehical should weight no less then 1/3 the towed weight! and this is only if you have no hills and flat roads ,otherwise its time for a big block or diesel dually

Last edited by wwwTOPDJcom; 09-06-2002 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:10 AM
Registered

Do you really think it matters whether or not the vehicle can move the load?????? That has NOTHING to do with the vehicle load rating. It is all about brakes and suspension. Why is a dually rated higher than a 3/4 ton with same engine, etc.

Does your vehicle have a second GCVWR for trailers with brakes??? I may be wrong, but I doubt it. 7000lbs est. according to what I read.

The Morris Bart factor....

There is an ambulance chaser lawyer from New Orleans that promises to get You your check....

I was given a reciever hitch that was probably good for about 1,000,000 pounds tow and 100,000 pounds tongue weight. It was home made, and went out with the trash. I would not tow without making absolutely, positively, sure the vehicle and hitch system were rated for the job.

Insurance company- "adios, you are on your own"
Morris Bart (or similar)- "hello, your ass is mine"

Sorry, no polite way to deliver this message. Other people will be on the roads when you are.

Bulldog
Old 09-06-2002, 12:32 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well I know ill get off the road if I see that comming up behind me!
Old 09-06-2002, 05:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Is that important to be stylin, if you feel the need to be that way, obviously you can afford it, buy the right vehicle for the job, keep your H2 for driving around, or hire an expert with the proper vehicle to tow that Cig, its not worth jeopardizing your life as well as others, I'll quote you like my daddy quoted me: Don't let fame and fortune go to your head son, materialistic things are great, enjoy them, use them wisely, but don't let them over take your mind, pull your head out of your ass now, or I'll do it for you
Old 09-06-2002, 08:19 AM
Registered

Default Re: Wow!

Originally posted by Maximus
Now I don't feel so bad. You see I just bought and H-2 as well and I was hoping I could pull my 36 spectre with it. 7200lbs +trailer(1800lbs) for a total weight of around 9000lbs. I was a little worried about the 6500lb tow rating.

My Expidition 235 hp 2wd air/susp pulls the package easily at 65+ mph

The Hummer has 316 hp. w/air susp and 4wheel drive

Do you think I should be concerned?

my trailer is a triple axle w/brakes

Maximus
Yes,
You should be very concerned.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:34 AM
Registered

Default You'll be pukin trannies

The H2 has a 4L65E which is beefed from the 1/2 ton unit but the real 3/4 tons (higherGVWR) use the 4L80E which is much stouter. All the power mods + big boat = tranny fuse.

Lets say you're big time- and you go to some event where there is no ramp and they put your boat in by crane- cool, look at the nice 20 ton crane. As he attaches the slings to your boat you notice the big label rating them for say 3000# each for a total of 6000#- are you going to let him lift your boat? Are you willing to stand under the boat with your family to inspect the bottom while the crane is swinging it?

H2's are pimpin- don't get me wrong- but the drive train is a hybrid that in no way approaches dually or 3/4 ton level. you want to come close to doubling the tow capacity and be about 5k over? Are you self insured and can you afford to take that kind of hit? There's enough negligence here where the ins companies won't pay a dime.

Sorry dude- time for a reality check
Old 09-06-2002, 08:39 AM
dloftis

I don't know about other parts of the country, but if you pull that combination through Houston you'd better watch out for 1/2 ton pickups with lights on the roof.

The Houston Police Department has a truck enforcement unit. These guys drive around in 1/2 ton silverados with portable scales in the back.

Their primary focus is on big trucks, but if you're towing, they can check you out just as quickly... and if they see that combination, they're going to have a pretty good idea that it's not legal. They will pull you over and they will ticket you if you're illegaly loaded.

Actually, in some states, to tow a combination that long you may need a commercial license.

Old 09-06-2002, 08:54 AM
Registered

Default Re: You'll be pukin trannies

Originally posted by Cattitude
Let's say you're big time- and you go to some event where there is no ramp and they put your boat in by crane- cool, look at the nice 20 ton crane. As he attaches the slings to your boat you notice the big label rating them for say 3000# each for a total of 6000#- are you going to let him lift your boat? Are you willing to stand under the boat with your family to inspect the bottom while the crane is swinging it?
Cattitude-
Great way to put it! That really puts it in perspective.

Originally posted by dloftis
Actually, in some states, to tow a combination that long you may need a commercial license.
In Texas maximum length is 65' for the tow vehicle and trailer. 8'6" is the max width for the trailer. Anything bigger than that needs a permit.
It varies state tp state, but the max length anywhere is 85', and that is only in Wyoming. Everywhere else varies from 70'-55' or so.

Quick Reply: Towing with the new H2 Hummer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.