Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Advantages of buying from a broker? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/323999-advantages-buying-broker.html)

mptrimshop 03-15-2015 07:39 AM

The disclaimer I read makes it seem like its the same case with new boats too!

ttuton 03-15-2015 07:48 AM

My biggest reason for using a broker was they had the boat I really wanted and it was the best one for me on the market at the time. The second advantage was the ability to trade in my old boat. Also, I was able to save on sales tax on my purchase because they deduct your trade value from the new purchase and you only pay tax on the difference.

ICDEDPPL 03-15-2015 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by ttuton (Post 4278813)
My biggest reason for using a broker was they had the boat I really wanted and it was the best one for me on the market at the time. The second advantage was the ability to trade in my old boat. Also, I was able to save on sales tax on my purchase because they deduct your trade value from the new purchase and you only pay tax on the difference.

I`m with the Tutton master. GSC was great to deal with. They made it too easy to buy this money pit.. Dammit!!

mike tkach 03-15-2015 09:04 AM

i used jerry at gsc in morris,il when i sold my cat and also for selling a buddy,s jet boat.both sales went smooth and whenever i buy or sell a boat he will be the person i call.

sea6 03-15-2015 10:02 AM

Gave a broker a check for ten percent of asking price as good faith to present with an offer. Owner wouldn't move. Took 4 weeks and escalating threats to get it back. Offer was made while in SoFlo while visiting. All comes back to buyer beware.

Unrelated: hey Icy dead people, are your avatars occurring at your house?

RollWithIt 03-15-2015 10:24 AM

Got my current boat through Jerry at Grand Sport Center. The process was smooth. Went the broker way because they had multiple boats to look at and had the model I was interested in. It also helped that the last owner of my boat worked there and was able to go over the whole boat with me along with all if its meticulous records. I sold my last boat through a local broker here. I had listed it myself and through them. They had a buyer come from Cincinnati who worked the deal. They handled all the paperwork and I got a check. There are pros and cons. Bottom line is as the buyer, you still need to do your homework and know what you are buying. And get your own survey. I would not trust the survey by a dealer/broker.

370ss500efi 03-15-2015 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 4278826)
I`m with the Tutton master. GSC was great to deal with. They made it too easy to buy this money pit.. Dammit!!

had to derail, avatar is best one yet. like the homegrown aspect. carry on

Griff 03-15-2015 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by sea6 (Post 4278860)

Unrelated: hey Icy dead people, are your avatars occurring at your house?

Of course they are. On his computer screen and in his dreams:lolhit:

ICDEDPPL 03-15-2015 08:52 PM

HA! If you only knew :eating:

rak rua 03-15-2015 09:01 PM

Another plus for using a broker to sell, it can be seen by so many potential buyers you might not immediately consider.

My previous boat and my current boat were both purchased through the same broker in Florida. I'm in Thailand and purchased both boats unseen. I relied on my broker for so much, not just to select the best boat to fit my needs but I also needed someone to prepare mountains of paperwork and documents for exporting. Coastguard documents, bank clearances, title declarations, inland freight, overseas shipping, insurance cover and of course, a survey.

I know most transactions are more simple than mine but if I can move my current Fountain, I'll be straight back on the phone to my friendly broker for help on my next boat. (I'm after a go fast boat this time!!)

I know The overseas market is minuscule for you sellers but without a broker, I would not have purchased my last two boats in the U.S. A broker can help with other related work to help make the process easier.

Two happy vendors and a happy purchaser.

RR