Notices

good boater or chump?

Old 09-05-2002, 07:18 PM
loosecannon22

Default good boater or chump?

I have a question for all, After reading a thread about a boat taking on water and sinking (see donzi on the bottom), a couple of people commented that the driver was not an experienced boater. I then read that the boat was raced? by the same guy? I am not sure. But after the comments made I started to wonder, what does everyone consider an experienced boater? I know that there are people who think that a big fast boat must mean an experienced driver which we all know is not true, or someone who owns a slow boat must be a chump. I own a 22 scarab, I dont race it, but I enjoy using it, I do go in poker runs and have a great time and keep up. I know when to stop jumping waves but sometimes everyone hits one wrong, Does this make inexperience? I figured if someone was able to race his boat more then once, he or she must know something about boating or they wouldnt go back a second time because other racers would of told them not to. help me on this one, I would love to hear the comments.
Billy

Old 09-05-2002, 07:36 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How big do the seas have to be before you stay in the inlet? I think you just answered your own question.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Billy,Lisa
I think that it has to do with seat time in a particular boat. Knowing what the boat is going to do in all circumstances, calm water and rough. When to go out of the inlet and when to stay in the ditch. I would classify you as an experienced boater. We had a incident with a race boat a couple of years ago at Gilberts in Key Largo where he hit two 47 APACHES that were tied to the dock, so I wouldn't say all racers are experienced, but 99% of them are.
Robert
Old 09-05-2002, 08:01 PM
Registered

Excellent question!
I was actually the one that started the post. My response of suprise that it was an "experienced boater" was not really meant as a reflection of skill but as someone who new the inlet he was dealing with.
As for which boat it was, I only know what I read on the board. I do not personally know the Egans but I have seen that boat and ran next to him (winning I might add) serveral times. I fact last year just outside the same inlet.
From the sound of it, it was very bad judgement and in a boat that size in the conditions that were reported, Im not sure what could have been done? My experience is getting back into the inlet is 5 time more hairy. He didnt even get that far I dont believe.
My follow-up question to yours is, If this guy had more "experience" could he have driven through this?
Old 09-05-2002, 08:03 PM
Banned

I think experience is a two part answer. One is boating in general. This means you know the basics of rule of the road, how to anchor, tie off, etc. The other part is the seat time in that particular boat. The first part will have a bearing on the second. If you have enough general boating experience, you will know not to push the limits in a boat that you don't have much time in. I have had my latest boat since May, and have been out almost every weekend day since. I still don't feel as confident in it as I do my 18 foot open fisherman that I have had for 14 years. In my OF, I have experienced nearly all conditions you will run into, and I know how the boat will react. I am gaining the same knowledge on my other boat, but it takes a while to get them all. I have had a great time learning with it too, though my girlfreind says I drive like an old lady in it.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:23 PM
loosecannon22

Hey Robert!!! how are ya, sorry we missed you guys in Savanna, but other things came up at the last minute. I met a bunch of great new friends from up in your neck of the woods on the Bahamas run. So it kind of made up for it. Russ called me last night about the Jacksonville run in 2 weeks, we will be making that one for sure, are you going?
I bet that the guy that hit the 2 47's felt like an *ss what are the chances of 2 even being at the same dock anyway? and then hitting them both? good god, be careful around other peoples boats no matter what they are, because someone loves them.
hope to see you in Jacks.
Billy

Old 09-05-2002, 08:41 PM
loosecannon22

Speaking of rules of the road (or water) when the heck are they going to make people take a course to drive a waverunner?? I use to live in NJ and to drive one we had to go take a course from the aux coast gaurd. After the course, we got a card that stated we could drive one. Being a young kid that knew it all, we went and joked about the 20 hrs or so of class time but in the end, I learned a lot of stuff, yield zones, how to use the markers and so on. when I moved to FLA and got ins. on my boat it saved me a ton of money because I took the course. It was a good idea, and helped me alot. probably would help a little down here too.

Old 09-05-2002, 09:01 PM
Registered

Billy
I won't be able to make Jax, but will be at Daytona Look forward to seeing ya'll in Daytona. I think we're staying at the Plaza and keeping the boats at Halafax. We'll have to drown a few cold ones
Robert
Old 09-05-2002, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My follow-up question to yours is, If this guy had more "experience" could he have driven through this?

Maybe if he had more "Experience" he wouldn't have gone out in the first place. I was down that weekend, and took a walk to the end of my street to take look at the bay on Saturday morning. I saw two boats as far as I could see. One big snailbote, and an enormous cruiser.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:13 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by rainmn

Maybe if he had more "Experience" he wouldn't have gone out in the first place. I was down that weekend, and took a walk to the end of my street to take look at the bay on Saturday morning. I saw two boats as far as I could see. One big snailbote, and an enormous cruiser.
Was this the cruiser?
Attached Thumbnails good boater or chump?-622yikes1.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Quick Reply: good boater or chump?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.