Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   368 Skater Topcat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/324486-368-skater-topcat.html)

skate 36 03-29-2015 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by NASCAT (Post 4285125)
I think this boat is a great foundation for someone who wants more of the late model look & wider tunnel. I agree most likely to receive a complete driveline upgrade. In the end someone built and owned a Skater that suited their needs regardless of the boats top speed. Not everyone that owns a Ferrari takes it to the track to see if they can mimick Road & Tracks performance claims, some just prefer to own a refined piece of machinery & enjoy their own way.

There's an older 32' Skater for $235k in the classifieds, I'd say TopCat is worth that & maybe even a little more. My guess it will sell for $250ish.

I just don't see it selling for more than $200K , I think its been on the market for well over 2 years now. As for the 32 @ 235K way over priced, that one has also been for sale for a long time. I think when boats are on the market for that long it speaks for itself. There worth only what someone is willing to pay !

Pwraddr 03-29-2015 07:18 AM

Only 2 reasons things don't sell, they are over priced or they are a POS. Pick one.

nofastboat 03-29-2015 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pwraddr (Post 4285308)
Only 2 reasons things don't sell, they are over priced or they are a POS. Pick one.

OR and over priced POS lol:D

Plowtownmissile 03-29-2015 02:58 PM

Looks like a solid, reliable poker run setup that'll run good without high dollar maintenance in a modern hull design to me.
Two things come to mind:
1. Skater has/had a 368 hull for sale with no power for about the same price so it doesn't seem overpriced for a turnkey boat.
2. Correct me if I'm wrong but 6's can be bolted up to NXT transom assemblies so you could put 6's on it easily.

speicher lane 03-29-2015 03:56 PM

" Skater has/had a 368 hull for sale with no power for about the same price so it doesn't seem overpriced for a turnkey boat."

Are you thinking of the never rigged white 368 w/trailer from CK Motorsports?

IMHO, for the money in the neighbour hood of a quarter mil - it is what it is, a nice running 368. If anyone is putting it down for the reliable package topping out around 120ish mph.... they can take another Million$$$+ to Peter and he can build them a sister ship to PP.

There's lots of boats that are on the market for a while for whatever reason.( Flightclub has boats listed before he fires the engines it seems - more power to him to be able to build each year). The owner of the 368 has a price in mind and is sticking to it ather than taking a low ball offer. In the mean time he's got a Skater!

Insurance on a cat also can play a factor in who buys a cat these days depending on where you boat out of.

Cash Bar 03-29-2015 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by skate 36 (Post 4285300)
I just don't see it selling for more than $200K , I think its been on the market for well over 2 years now. As for the 32 @ 235K way over priced, that one has also been for sale for a long time. I think when boats are on the market for that long it speaks for itself. There worth only what someone is willing to pay !

It's actually sold once in last 6-7 months. The newer owner is going in a more relaxed boating direction. It is listed by the same broker again so I can see why it looks to have been unsold.

Smarty 03-29-2015 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by NASCAT (Post 4285125)
I think this boat is a great foundation for someone who wants more of the late model look & wider tunnel. I agree most likely to receive a complete driveline upgrade. In the end someone built and owned a Skater that suited their needs regardless of the boats top speed. Not everyone that owns a Ferrari takes it to the track to see if they can mimick Road & Tracks performance claims, some just prefer to own a refined piece of machinery & enjoy their own way.

There's an older 32' Skater for $235k in the classifieds, I'd say TopCat is worth that & maybe even a little more. My guess it will sell for $250ish.

You really hit the nail on the head with your assessment/opinion. While I am not a boat buying prospect at this time, I often think I would love to own a catamaran some day, specifically a Skater. I have 40+ years of wheel time, but I have zero hours of wheel time driving a Cat. Would it be reasonable or practical for me, even if I could afford it, to buy a 160+ mph Skater ? There are some nice 36' and 40' Skaters that are under $200K and run close to that speed; two or three are here in New Jersey. I don't think is it a smart move (for me), to jump into a 160+ mph boat after having seat time at 92 mph, that is me...but we all have to learn sometime.

For me, I think this boat will be far more reliable/user friendly, I would get the necessary experience driving a Cat, and then make the decision or bigger and or faster. One thing is for certain, I will never ever be the fastest boat on the water, even if I had millions of dollars.

I like the boat, I am thinking like a man on a budget, not a man with unlimited funds available. But that is my $.02 opinion for the day. And what is not to like, it is a Skater!!! I need seat time and experience before I would even consider a boat like Pure Platinum, Predator, Tomcat, ect.. they are all beautiful, fast, but are dream boats for me.

Plowtownmissile 03-30-2015 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by speicher lane (Post 4285452)
" Skater has/had a 368 hull for sale with no power for about the same price so it doesn't seem overpriced for a turnkey boat."

Are you thinking of the never rigged white 368 w/trailer from CK Motorsports?

IMHO, for the money in the neighbour hood of a quarter mil - it is what it is, a nice running 368. If anyone is putting it down for the reliable package topping out around 120ish mph.... they can take another Million$$$+ to Peter and he can build them a sister ship to PP.

There's lots of boats that are on the market for a while for whatever reason.( Flightclub has boats listed before he fires the engines it seems - more power to him to be able to build each year). The owner of the 368 has a price in mind and is sticking to it ather than taking a low ball offer. In the mean time he's got a Skater!

Insurance on a cat also can play a factor in who buys a cat these days depending on where you boat out of.

Yes, I was thinking of the CK Motorsports boat.