Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
did anyone ever try and rebuild Asbell's Skater? >

did anyone ever try and rebuild Asbell's Skater?

Notices

did anyone ever try and rebuild Asbell's Skater?

Old 04-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts
Default did anyone ever try and rebuild Asbell's Skater?

Not sure how some feel about rebuilding something that took a great persons life (2 of them). I myself lost my mom to a Harley accident but that bike was her world and though it took her it was her passion so I chose to rebuild and revive that memory of her.

I was watching videos and forgot just how awesome his skater was and those motors from Brad where something else man.

Just wondering if anyone took a labor of love with bring that boat back.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcl6CIu4oso

Last edited by Nate5.0; 04-07-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:26 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I beleive Jeffs son has the boat at an undisclosed location, shrink wrapped and inside one of their buildings.
It's in bad shape.
The power he had in the video posted are 1200's, the power that was in it 2 weeks later at the time of the accident are 1750's. Brad had just finished them and it was the first time they had them out at Cumberland.
RIP boys!
Old 04-08-2015, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LV
I beleive Jeffs son has the boat at an undisclosed location, shrink wrapped and inside one of their buildings.
It's in bad shape.
The power he had in the video posted are 1200's, the power that was in it 2 weeks later at the time of the accident are 1750's. Brad had just finished them and it was the first time they had them out at Cumberland.
RIP boys!
One can only imagine.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess it would be hard to let go, If it were my dads I think I would want to try and rebuild it. But it would be hard to enjoy it knowing you lost your father in it. One the 2nd hand, i would think it would be very hard to sell. This power boat community is way to small to try and pull it off as not "jeffs boat" and it will always be "jeffs boat" no matter what color or how much you change it.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:34 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 285 Likes on 137 Posts

My father has been in the business of buying and rebuilding aircraft for the last 35 years and I've been with him for the last 10. I can honestly say that we have never even considered purchasing and rebuilding an aircraft that was involved in a fatality. If it is a family members possession, then the thought process might be different, but I really can't speak in that regard because I have never been in that position.

With that being said, I would imagine the resale value of anything (boat, plane, murder in a house, car,etc...) involving a fatality would be horrendous.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cagedlx
Guess it would be hard to let go, If it were my dads I think I would want to try and rebuild it. But it would be hard to enjoy it knowing you lost your father in it. One the 2nd hand, i would think it would be very hard to sell. This power boat community is way to small to try and pull it off as not "jeffs boat" and it will always be "jeffs boat" no matter what color or how much you change it.
It is still fresh.

I lost my mom in 2011 and really just as recent as 2 weeks ago have the bike back and close to being done. At first I wanted to just hold on to it and not sure what the plan was. After time though I knew I wanted to rebuild it as she would still have that love for the bike. It can be hard for sure but I can assure you it can be rewarding and something you can once again enjoy.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 302Sport
My father has been in the business of buying and rebuilding aircraft for the last 35 years and I've been with him for the last 10. I can honestly say that we have never even considered purchasing and rebuilding an aircraft that was involved in a fatality. If it is a family members possession, then the thought process might be different, but I really can't speak in that regard because I have never been in that position.

With that being said, I would imagine the resale value of anything (boat, plane, murder in a house, car,etc...) involving a fatality would be horrendous.
I don't think it is about the resale.

You know my late mom's fiance and prob have seen our bike (he just flew a plane of yours down south last month). It is more of the labor of love and closeness you get from resurrecting what they enjoyed. I am 100% sure my mom's bike will NEVER be for sale.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 285 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
I don't think it is about the resale.

You know my late mom's fiance and prob have seen our bike (he just flew a plane of yours down south last month). It is more of the labor of love and closeness you get from resurrecting what they enjoyed. I am 100% my mom's bike will NEVER be for sale.
Nate, obviously when a family member takes on a project like this it would never be for sale when completed. When I mentioned resale, I was speaking only of a third party stepping in, buying the boat, building it and eventually most likely selling it.

Yeah, I have seen the bike, and have seen Jack putting in a lot of time working on it. It is awesome that you two are doing that.

PS, how'd he like that plane? That thing is a rocket ship!!!!!

Last edited by 302Sport; 04-08-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

fatality in a plane usually means not much left to sell/salvage......boats can have similar issues. Plenty of cars/houses get "recycled" often unless it was a "Gacy" type death scene and the house gets demolished by the city/town.

I personally wouldn't want anything involved in a fatality, it would take the enjoyment out of using away for me. In 99% of the cases, there are comparable options out there without the bad history. Some people don't care, I knew a girl that lived in an apartment someone was stabbed in (nice area, plenty of other places to rent for what she paid) and she negotiated the rent down due to the murder and leasing office agreed to it. New carpet/paint and she looked at it as saving a few hundred a month.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Registered

Nate, obviously when a family member takes on a project like this it would never be for sale when completed. When I mentioned resale, I was speaking only of a third party stepping in, buying the boat, building it and eventually most likely selling it.

Yeah, I have seen the bike, and have seen Jack putting in a lot of time working on it. It is awesome that you two are doing that.

PS, how'd he like that plane? That thing is a rocket ship!!!!!
Ya I completely understand your first part and I guess should have thought about that in my original post. I am sure only family would have interest in rebuilding something that took a loved one.

Jack has put some HUGE love into that bike and I am shocked at how it came out and it really brings a lot of smiles to our faces, especially his.

That jet also brought a HUGE smile to his face as well. We had a long talk about how much he enjoyed that plane over dinner and drinks on his way back up. HE showed me some pics and that thing is beautiful!!! I remember the original pics a few years back and my mom showing me them when it was on the barge heading over to you guys. What a knock out job you all did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.