Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Detailing advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/324974-detailing-advice.html)

Speedracer29 04-10-2015 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by precisiondetails (Post 4290361)
Is your concern on the product over price or are you just more familiar with the general marine names?

I didn't fully understand what your message was you were trying to get across like with the pink detail spray...

Now I understand most people are not familiar with what the pros use as it's not known in the consumer market. I will say this tho- we are going to be breaking into that market this summer.

I like the last part!

My point on the pink detailer is-
there's some great pro-grade stuff designed/tested/tried for automotive use. While it may be fine for marine use, I would prefer my boat not to be a guinnea pig for that application.

I'm no chemist, and there's certainly a plethora of products professional and consumer grade that I'm not familiar with. However, when a detailer can't/won't take the time to explain the who/what/why of a product, it's a detractor, and I'm not buying what they're selling. When a new Cigarette costs the same as a new Chevrolet (dare to dream), the local detailer can use whatever.... Until then, I'd prefer more than a hayseed explanation of "it's pro grade, good stuff" .

Speedracer29 04-10-2015 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by jbraun2828 (Post 4290419)
Why would you use marine products on automotive paint? Most of our boats are not gel coat and I wouldn't use marine anything. It cost twice as much and doesn't work half as good.

Mine's gelcoat. Last one was gelcoat with some Imron. I haven't progressed to the six or seven figure boat with the Mitcher T paint yet. But gelcoat boats still exist.

I'll shut up now so this doesn't turn into an OSO oil thread.

Interceptor 04-10-2015 01:34 PM

Always been baffled by all the products out there to make a boat shine but most of us have no idea what's in them and yet we use them.

precisiondetails 04-10-2015 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Speedracer29 (Post 4290423)
I like the last part!

My point on the pink detailer is-
there's some great pro-grade stuff designed/tested/tried for automotive use. While it may be fine for marine use, I would prefer my boat not to be a guinnea pig for that application.

I'm no chemist, and there's certainly a plethora of products professional and consumer grade that I'm not familiar with. However, when a detailer can't/won't take the time to explain the who/what/why of a product, it's a detractor, and I'm not buying what they're selling. When a new Cigarette costs the same as a new Chevrolet (dare to dream), the local detailer can use whatever.... Until then, I'd prefer more than a hayseed explanation of "it's pro grade, good stuff" .

That's why I asked.

Very well put and I completely understand what you are saying.

To me the very best SEALER out there (and my company doesn't even make it) that's how good it is! Lol- is Driven Marine Polish. Period!!

precisiondetails 04-10-2015 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240 (Post 4290406)
Precisiondetails is exactly right. Personally, I would never want to get into the boat detailing business as the time it would take to educate your customer on good work/products and the chances of them following through to maintain the finish is very difficult. Moreover, if you are asking what products your customers want to see, I am afraid you are already setting yourself up to fail. Every paint/gelcoat is different, which may require different products and pads depending on the hardness thus you will need to tailor your product/pad combination as you see fit. Precisiondetails has a high end detail shop specializing in paint correction, sealants, and coatings (correct me if im wrong precisiondetails) and I am into detailing myself as a hobbyist, so perhaps we are talking a different language here as I'm not sure the level of detailing you are doing.

That would be correct. I only do full complete high end details these days. I don't wash things. But on the product side of things. I won't soliciate on here yet, until I pay for advertising (those are the rules here) but our website is in the works right now. The line of product is manufactured right here in California Hayward to be exact the East Bay Area.

Our compounds and polishes go toe to toe with 3M.
The average cost of a Quart of 3M is $40-50
Ours is $25-35
I've converted more marine fiberglass repair places to our stuff. And our pads are better hands down over 3M.
We are in the all out detail biz, 3M is the Abrasive kings
Let's put it this way- we make so many different kinds of each product I GUARANTEE we will have some thing you like... IE- we make close to around 20 different dressings (tires, plastics, moldings/exterior & interior)

We also have a Wax that is an express wax. That will NOT stain black plastics and can be used in sun, no residue what so ever. U won't even see any on your towel when u take it off. And it's the easiest wax application you will ever see. Our competitors buy and sell it somewhere somehow just to give to their accounts so to keep us away. Lol

tmmii 04-10-2015 08:44 PM

Id rather see prices and results on other boats you've done than what products you use. I'm not up to date on the latest waxes, so hearing what you use is Greek to me.

Price wise the best I've seen in central Ohio is around $45 a foot, inside and out.

27daytona 04-10-2015 10:24 PM

Chad. Drop some by my house so I can use it before Desert Storm. Doug

precisiondetails 04-10-2015 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by 27daytona (Post 4290628)
Chad. Drop some by my house so I can use it before Desert Storm. Doug

I might just be able to do that. What type of stuff do you want/need?

jmoore1225 04-10-2015 11:54 PM

For the experts, what are some of the better products to use? My boat is paint & not gel by the way.

precisiondetails 04-11-2015 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore1225 (Post 4290641)
For the experts, what are some of the better products to use? My boat is paint & not gel by the way.

Shoot me a PM. Let me know what type of products you need. Such as: quick spray, wax, compound/polish etc...