Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   whats out there in a perf hull with arnesons for s diesel conversion? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/325517-whats-out-there-perf-hull-arnesons-s-diesel-conversion.html)

iliveonanisland 04-23-2015 11:57 PM

whats out there in a perf hull with arnesons for s diesel conversion?

Looking for something with arnesons on it and a large cockpit, for a diesel conversion wondering whats out there? There was a white scarab on loto with arnesons and n/a big blocks but its not in the classifieds any longer, there was a big cig i think 45ft with seatecs and arnesons thats no longer in the classifieds either... thanks for any info, rm

iliveonanisland 04-24-2015 07:14 AM

I want to build a diesel powered offshore boat to make a 2.5 hour round trip daily, so number 6s wont get it with the 200 hour rebuilds. Planning on some 400+ hp cummins engines. Thx, rm

Bobthebuilder 04-24-2015 09:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland (Post 4296266)
I want to build a diesel powered offshore boat to make a 2.5 hour round trip daily, so number 6s wont get it with the 200 hour rebuilds. Planning on some 400+ hp cummins engines. Thx, rm

Sounds like you need Team PREDATOR or a boat like it !! After we do our run to Key West in November I expect I will be offering it for sale unless I can be persuaded to part with her before that. Nicely broken in at 725 hrs and still running strong. In great shape and well maintained and cared for. Been in 22 countries / and or their territorial waters ranging from Canada to the Grenadines. I have a short list of interested parties when the time is right.

Bob

iliveonanisland 04-24-2015 10:14 AM

Bob, pls tell me more about it? What drives, engines, trannies? What is ur cruise speed and what kind of fuel consumption? Whats ur top end, Its a schweet looking ride!

Bobthebuilder 04-24-2015 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland (Post 4296335)
Bob, pls tell me more about it? What drives, engines, trannies? What is ur cruise speed and what kind of fuel consumption? Whats ur top end, Its a schweet looking ride!

Arneson drives that just have been gone thru, triple 480 Yanmar diesels, top end 78 MPH when light on fuel etc; high cruise 70 MPH; comfortable long range cruise at 65 / 66 all day long; fuel consumption is 1 MPG at high cruise. When we broke Reggie's Key West to Cancun record we covered the 400 miles with our 400 gallon tank of fuel without using any reserve so the 1 MPG is real. 16 people on board for BVI poker run ! LOL

Bob

iliveonanisland 04-24-2015 11:50 AM

Bob why did u choose yanmars over cummins?

What are u using for trans? Single or two speed?

Are u running air tubes to the props to help get it on plane? Thx, rm

999JAY 04-24-2015 12:55 PM

I am in the middle of a similar build.
I only spend a couple of months a year in Florida running my boats and wanted something that would be reliable with a cruise speed of 90+ to get down to the Keys etc.

Went with a 43 Supercat Arneson ASD8 drop boxes BPM sterntubes, & Seatek 10.3ls 800+ hp diesel motors.
These run four valves per cylinder polished forged rods and crank and spin up to 3100-3400 rpm on two bar of boost.
Zf301s with a ratio of 0.86 -1 giving a prop speed of around 3600rpm.

Bobthebuilder 04-24-2015 12:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland (Post 4296371)
Bob why did u choose yanmars over cummins?

What are u using for trans? Single or two speed?

Are u running air tubes to the props to help get it on plane? Thx, rm

1) Yanmar is in line 6 and can get 3 of them in the 9 ft beam of the Nor Tech. Cummins can only fit 2 in.

2) Single speed tranny not sure of make but never a failure. Only failure on the whole driveline was 1 universal joint so replaced all 3.

3) Yes to air tubes and works real well to get spooled up.

Bob

iliveonanisland 04-24-2015 02:45 PM

Awesome rigging there bob!

Can u post a pick of the drives?

Do ur drives have the chain boxes to allow u to mount the drives at the height u wanted? Thx

Comanche3Six 04-24-2015 02:47 PM

Super!