Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Helicopter crash at Lake Cumberland (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32560-helicopter-crash-lake-cumberland.html)

25Daytona 09-08-2002 07:32 PM

Helicopter crash at Lake Cumberland

Does anyone have details on the helicopter crash at the poker run on Sat?
We were there spectating and all I can say is those Outerlimits kick ass!

LPBoater 09-08-2002 07:48 PM

Yeah, buddy of mine saw it happen.. Here's the story I heard - true or not I don't know. The copter was turning around to go film another boat and when he turned the bird came down and the blades touched the water - down it went - it sunk very fast. Pilot and passenger were fine.

290PQ 09-09-2002 06:38 AM

It happened right in front of us! The pilot put it in a very steep bank to turn around and come back to film some more boats he made the turn but lost too much altitude his skids hit the water and it was all over!! Just as we got there the pilot and camera man popped up, very shook up but not hurt.
Very scary to say the least!
I'm just glad they are ok.
I heard the salvage crew is going down today to try to recover it.:(

BadDog 09-09-2002 06:47 AM

Thye may have been distracted just prior to this. They were over my boat and were filming flashers in the boats next to us. Came in pretty low. Glad to hear the crew is OK, hope they recover their film and equipment. Man that would suck to take a swim like that! Any idea what a rig like that would cost to bring up and repairs?

Iggy 09-09-2002 06:52 AM

I belive the FAA will consider the copter a total loss. They usually don't rebuild them after being sunk. If the camera was electronic, that too is junk.
Hope he has good insurance, and a lawyer to go with it because the FAA may revoke the pilots license especially if they feel he broke any rules.

glassdave 09-09-2002 07:55 AM

depending on where they were at it could be a difficult recovery. lake cumberland is very deep. glad everyone is alright, it could have been much worse. btw, anybody know what kind of copter it was. many use Robinson R22's, just curious.

290PQ 09-09-2002 08:23 AM

Glassdave, Yes it was a R-22. We were at the scene and showed 103ft. deep. I was told divers and a barge were going out this morning to get it. I'm sure it will be a total loss!!

Flyinbrian 09-09-2002 10:23 AM

Originally posted by cpqtim
Any idea what a rig like that would cost to bring up and repairs?
I did a search on aerotraderonline for Robinson. HERE is a '99 R-22 for sale for $139,900. Not exactly cheap by any means, but in the world of choppers, I don't think that is one of the higher end models. There are mid 70's model Bell Jet Ranger's going for $300,000+.

BAJA WILL 09-09-2002 10:44 AM

That is a very affordable Helicopter, My family has a couple of Bell Jet Rangers. Sadly we put one down last summer. No injuries but very expensive day, (no Ins) on that one. Very glad the pilot and passangers got out OK.:cool:

WILL

PhantomChaos 09-09-2002 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It is the cheapest "production" helicopter that you can by. The only cheaper ones are kits, like the Rotorway 162F. You can get this new for about $65K and build it in 300 hours.

Intolerant1 09-09-2002 11:01 AM

Let me get this straight. A guy looking at naked women dove to deep and is now has his equipment stuck at the mouth of Beaver Creek ?

In all seriousness, glad nobody got hurt. Ive seen a helicopter crash and cleaned up afterward. Not a pretty sight.

sha- mat 09-09-2002 11:07 AM

In a situation like this, or one involving a boat, do agencies like the Coast Gaurd, EPA, ect. get involved with fines and clean up bills?

Just curious

Glad they are ok.

Blonde Cig Chick 09-09-2002 11:10 AM

Wow! I'm glad to hear they are both ok. Was it the smaller black helicopter? We were in the 42' Outerlmits "Rock-It". He was right next to us for a while and was definitely quite close to us. When we got back we heard that one of them had gone down, but wasn't sure which one.

Scary to say the least :eek:

Sea Ya 09-09-2002 11:43 AM

Someone who overheard a conversation with one of the victims said the water got completely dark before they got out, maybe 50 feet. My depth sounder showed 123 feet deep at the site. One was back that evening, the other spent the night in the hospital and was transferred to another location the next morning. Second hand info. Glad the're OK.

PhantomChaos 09-09-2002 11:47 AM

Maybe they should wear life-jackets during the poker runs too! Makes sense to me.

290PQ 09-09-2002 12:06 PM

Yes it was the black one.
They were both wearing inflatable life jackets, It seemed like they were under for 20-30 seconds before they popped up, so I would bet they could have been at least 50' down it sank very fast!!!
It was a sight i will never forget!!!!!!!!

SummerObsession 09-09-2002 12:30 PM

Intolerant1:
That was some funny sh*t!!
:D :D :D :D
It takes a warped mind to put that all together in that way. I respect and admire that!!

BAJA WILL 09-09-2002 03:57 PM

Troutly,

Yea, people think POWERBOAT ins is expensive, HA HA HA. Ours are privately owned, lots of fun just really need to be paying attention.

WILL;)

US1 Fountain 09-09-2002 05:17 PM

Originally posted by cpqtim
Thye may have been distracted just prior to this. They were over my boat and were filming flashers in the boats next to us.
THAT WAS OUR GROUP! In a 34 Power Quest.

BadDog 09-09-2002 09:08 PM

Jerry,
Looked all over down there for you. Did not think to look for anything other than your Fountain. Cindy and I will catch you all down there in the spring. I thought that the Rock-It boat was one of the best looking ones out there. We anchored up at the island by Beaver creek and watched them come by from the shore, when Drambuie on Ice went by you could feel the water shake. After the last card stop the falls were rockin! Rumor has it there will be another river Fun Run this year.

Tim T.

Is your tag line sort of like a Bravo warranty against rocks?

US1 Fountain 09-09-2002 09:59 PM

Tim,
I had mine there also. Tammy and I "thought" we saw you at the start of the run, on the right side of the runners. We were on the left. Our friends 31' AO blew a motor 30 seconds into the run. Smoke filled the sky. You had to have seen that! GPS was at 94mph when she go BOOM! :D I ran them back to get their backup boat docked at Jamestown to finish out the run.
Yeah, Rock-It was nice, as were most.

Looks like we are going to be down your way for a 'boat burning' thing in a few weeks. Whatever that is.

Tag line...........:D :D :D

Flyinbrian 09-09-2002 10:05 PM

Originally posted by US1 Fountain

THAT WAS OUR GROUP! In a 34 Power Quest.

Kudos to your girl(s)!!!!!

Not too many people can say that their breasts brought down a helicopter!!

Bussell 09-09-2002 11:09 PM

poker run

someone said the crash was on video tape
if anyone knows who please contact me
at [email protected]

Rick252 09-10-2002 04:41 AM

US 1 Fountain

Was that Merlin's 31 AO that blew? I seen him limping back to Jamestown

Rick252 09-10-2002 05:49 AM

Originally posted by sha- mat
In a situation like this, or one involving a boat, do agencies like the Coast Gaurd, EPA, ect. get involved with fines and clean up bills?

Just curious

Glad they are ok.

Oh yeah, The FAA will be right on the ball

way8up 09-10-2002 12:32 PM

We were drifting at Beaver when we heard the call go out on the radio. My friend and I (both paramedics) did the medical assessment on the two. The camera man was kind of chuckling, the pilot had the look of any newly unemployed person...

Shame all that great breast video had to sink....

I had heard one of the Sonics (tied up at 600 dock at Jamestown) caught the crash on tape.

Word on the dock as far as cause, was due to some sort of mechanical failure. I'm not a pilot (obviously), but apparently when this type of failure occurs, the helicopter will make enough power to hover with one person inside. I understand a problem occurred, the pilot asked the cameraman to jump out (low altitude), the cameraman didn't, and the craft went down.

If anyone who knows more about helicopters could confirm or deny this story, please do so. Like I said, just the word on the dock.

"Wave-Shredder"
311 Formula

Flyinbrian 09-10-2002 12:35 PM

For the love of God, they must re-shoot the breast video footage!!

Any volunteers?:D

muffman 09-10-2002 12:47 PM

Glad nobody was hurt . How about a used turbine engine with a little water in it ?????

Dano 09-10-2002 01:34 PM

That was my Sonic on the 600 dock. We were taking pictures but not of the helicopter:D :D :D
The Sonic that got the bird was a 38. I asked him to forward what he had.

US1 Fountain 09-10-2002 09:44 PM

Re: US 1 Fountain

Originally posted by Rick252
Was that Merlin's 31 AO that blew? I seen him limping back to Jamestown
No. This one belongs to Kyle. All white with AO on side.

As far as our flashing girls, they took it pretty hard that they may have been a contributing factor to the copter crash. ;) Glad no one was hurt.

They got a great video shooting the copter.... shooting them, along with Drambuie doing a 100mph pass at 15-20' when he had to steer clear of a fishing boat wandering in the route.

SpectreBoy 10-28-2002 06:03 PM

Copter Crash

I just found this post so that's why it's so late.

That copter cut right in front of me, about 100 ft. in front of me when he went down, I told my buddy, "that bastard just cut us off" and I started to turn to get out from behind him, when I said "look how low he is" just then his right runner hit the water and he flipped, I screamed duck to my passenger and we drove blind right thru all the mess, we turned around and went back, the pilot was out, and the copter had sunk, it must have been 10 seconds or so before the camera man came up, we got them both in my boat and started to take them back to Jamestown, when the pilot said he wanted me to get the positon off my gps so they could find the copter later, we turned around and went back to the scene, and by then the police were there and we gave the two survivors over to them. IF ANYONE HAS THIS VIDEO PLEASE CONTACT ME, I WANT IT BAD, MY BOAT WAS IN THE VIDEO IF YOU FILMED THE CRASH. There was one guy named Rick and his wife had it on tape, she said she would call me and send me a copy of it when she got home, they called once and I wasn't home, and their number was blocked so I couldn't call them back and they never called back either, if you can help me get this please do so, I'll make it worth your while. thanks Mark
[email protected]

rbtnt 10-29-2002 12:03 AM

Mark, I sent you an email concerning the video.