Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   First Annual National Capital Poker Run Success! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32616-first-annual-national-capital-poker-run-success.html)

Sydwayz 09-09-2002 01:00 PM

First Annual National Capital Poker Run Success!

What a class act event! The turnout was small, but the event was very well organized. 90 mile round-trip starting in Downtown Washington DC, returning to the Old Towne Alexandria boardwalk for dinner, awards, DJ, and dancing. Great food all day. Prizes for top three hands and worst hand were given out, as well as too-many-to-count door prizes. I believe EVERYONE with a raffle ticket went home with something. A very special thanks to the CBPBA and Maryland Offshore for a great event. I have to say, the most amazing sight was the 2000 36' Skater TomCat, of Jim & Jean zipping by us at 120 mph 2 or 3 times on EACH LEG of the run. Jim would fly by us at 120 or so, turn around, run back around the pack. and then do it again, to arrive with the group. Also cannot forget the sheerly elegant 45' Wellcraft Excalibur 'Black Tie Affair' running at an estimated 50 mph.

OSO'ers in attendance:
Sydwayz, Brian
Racing_Fan, Mark
Surgin' General, Charlie, (displaying BEAUTIFUL NEW paint)
(Jim & Jean - lurkers) (we wanna see 140+ next time)
Skater & (Mrs.) Skater, Mark & Sherrie, (as always, that amazing 37 AVH AT)

I believe there were only three mishaps/casualties. Irish Mist (Sonic) lost a motor; I fell in the water while docking in Old Town, (tried to grab a piling, man that hurt!!), and a boat broke its anchor loose while at lunch, with no damage.

We capped off the night, by cruising back into Georgetown Harbor in downtown DC to mingle with the crowd at the bars on the water. What a great day... on the water from 8am till 12am.

Next year, this run will be WELL WORTH the trip. It will be on September 6th, always planned to be the first Saturday after Labor Day. I only hope the Choptank River Poker Run next year, and this one will not coincide, so I will not have to make such a tough decision.

bsag 09-09-2002 05:59 PM

Brian, we ended up with 69 boats and everything went great. I even got the band to play until around 2:30.

Racing_Fan 09-10-2002 10:43 AM

I second Brian's comments...the National Capital Poker Run was a great success! I had a blast riding along in Brian's boat! I really enjoyed meeting everyone. I enjoyed seeing everyone's rigs at the event too! I will definitely be attending the run next year in my boat. Thanks to all involved!!! :) :)

-Racing_Fan

ps. Mark & Sherrie, hope to see you all again at Leesylvania
before the season is over! :)