Season already over for me.....found metal shavings on the dipstick >

Season already over for me.....found metal shavings on the dipstick

Notices

Season already over for me.....found metal shavings on the dipstick

Old 05-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Season already over for me.....found metal shavings on the dipstick

The problem started last week when it seemed to be missing and didn't want to rev up much past 3000. I thought it was bad fuel messing up the carb, and I did pump out some bad gas from the tank and swapped fuel filters, and rebuilt and cleaned out the carbs on each motor. Still that one motor ran bad. Would idle fine but once you got it over 2k it would seem like it was misfiring. sounded bad and didn't want to rev up at all. Thought i might have messed up the carb trying to fix it so I swapped it for the one off my other motor but no real difference, and by now the motor doesn't want to start, and backfires through the carb when letting go of the key. A friend was joking with me and said it was probably blown up and full of metal, which got me worried I could have a burned piston or broken vlave or something of that sorts. I pulled the dipstick, and stuck to the bottom of the stick in the oil was this metal you see on my finger. I pulled the oil filter and drained it and didn't see any metal in it, but something tells me that if metal comes up on your dipstick you're f'd. There was a little more but i knocked it off trying to get pic

I psychically cannot get my hand between the 2 motors so I don't know how I could even begin to check compression on the side that's next to the other motor. So I guess it's time to pull the motor. Got one run out of her this season, and didn't even get a chance to try my new props.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:03 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the distributor drive gear, might be the source
Old 05-21-2015, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pull the motor.....
Old 05-21-2015, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the gear before you pull the motor. If the gear is bad I would replace it, change the oil and filter and then time the engine. If it runs fine run it for one outing and change the oil and filter again. If it runs good - RUN IT. worst case it starts to make noise or burn oil. THEN pull the engine. I lost a cam lobe and filled the engine with metal flake so fine it looked like powder. Changed the cam and lifters, flushed the engine with a lot of diesel fuel and then changed the oil and filter a few times and ran it the whole summer without a hitch.
Then in the fall I pulled the engine and went through it. The metal was so fine the bearings didn't even have any marks but they did look like they had about 400 hours on them.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cut the oil filter open and check it.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like you may have lost a cam lobe or two.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Sounds like you may have lost a cam lobe or two.
zactly what i was thinkin. Zink free oil blends these are not good for non roller motors . . . so I've heard anyways
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definatley a distributor gear, or a worn cam lobe. Worn cam lobe would send the lifter assembly on that valve out of adjustment, thus the back fire thru you carb. I would pull the intake and look in the valley for metal flake and a worn lobe.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Registered

With a worn cam lobe it would still run fine - just miss. Worn Dizzy gear - runs bad and doesn't want to start.
Pull the Dizzy
Old 05-21-2015, 07:57 PM
Registered

Before you pull the intake pull the valve covers and see if anything is loose. If loose - worn cam lobe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.