Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The art of being a throttleman..... >

The art of being a throttleman.....

Notices

The art of being a throttleman.....

Old 09-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can call about the bat boat if you would like...my wife races one in the GLSCS and i have done a lot of instruction for them as well. i also am for hire to instruct using the audacity poker run AT....but i don't use this site to make money.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:15 AM
Registered

Treadwell is absolutly right! It's about feel, anticipation and having someone you trust. CapeCod was a good example. Huge water. A completely fogged up helmet. Could not see the water for the entire race. I ran the throttles completely by feel. We lost out intercom, so trust in David's hand signals to make sure we didn't stuff was crucial. It takes time to learn and the belief that both the driver and throttleman have an equal amount to offer each other.

Jim
Old 09-10-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

OK, I understand pulling back when you leave the water and flooring when you hit the water. But, how far do have to pullback? 10%, 25%, 50% of throttle? Assuming your running at or near WOT.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull back 100%. when you are in the air you don't want your props spinning. and don't give it gas untill you know the props are in the water or you will tear props and drives apart.

Treadwell
Old 09-10-2002, 10:41 AM
Registered

Good Q Todd W I often wonder that myself, I run on the rough wates of Lake Erie when ever I come out I back off 100% just to be safe but always wondered if that was right or not
Old 09-10-2002, 10:52 AM
Registered

Consider the moment. If you come out of the water flat, you can wait until the props back in. When we launch, I'm back on 100% power before or just as we hit the water (anticipation) to help avoid tripping and stuffing the boat. From my point of view, I only want the equipment to last to the end of the race. Others may have a different opinion. I respect that.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a quetion on this subject .
Treadwellmotorsports, You say pull back 100% ?
I have NO racing experience in a boat . Just a lot of fun ,hard running ! I dought you in NO way as to your ability .I just have to ask . IT seems to me that if your doing WOT say 80-90mph (just a number ) IF you pull back 100% and have a long air time ,the prop will come to an idle . If you enter the water at say 80 mph with the prop almost stopped , won't that cause a servere jolt to the drive and and pull the nose down hard ? I realize timeing is everything , and reaplying the throttle hard and fast will lift the nose again . Just wondering about having no throttle on re-entry. Just seams potentialy hard on equipment and possibly a stuff . Again ,I am no pro . Just asking and wanting to learn . Thanks for your replys . JOE
Old 09-10-2002, 11:28 AM
Registered

Hey Joe.....

re-entry with RPM's will HURT a drive. Imagine that the prop is spinning at 5000 and re-enters the water....the force of the water will slow your RPM's instantly while the motor is still trying to turn them. THis is usually how shafts twist and break because both sides want to go in different directions.

Now your questions about the bow comming down too much i can't answer.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:29 AM
Registered

yellow submarine,,,yellow submarine....to sum it up your rpms have to match the boat speed when you re inter and as load increases or decrease...the best way to lean is seat time w/some that knows was thier do'n...
Old 09-10-2002, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boot,

yes timing is everthing. yes it does create a jolt but imagine if the prop was spinning at 5200 rpms and you hit the water. the prop will be slowed down consideriably to the point you might bust your gears. if the prop is not spinning or spinning rather slowley then you will get less resitance. you are right if your not on your game you can falter and stuff the boat.

thats were setup comes into play. for rough water races you generally run a prop about three sizes smaller then your high speed prop. so when you do renter the water the saller prop will bring your rpms back up immediatly and keep you skipping accross the water. thats why in many cases you will hear racers say say ran to big of a prop that day.

Treadwell

Quick Reply: The art of being a throttleman.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.