Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The art of being a throttleman..... >

The art of being a throttleman.....

Notices

The art of being a throttleman.....

Old 09-10-2002, 11:38 AM
ssherman

I personally come off about 50% I try to keep the tachs even and not allow them to hit the revs of fall way low......If I am catching big air i will come off 75% I can say i dont ever remember coming off all the way. No broken bravo's but I did smoke a couple lowers on my 2.5's

Old 09-10-2002, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the jobs are not equal for every boat or every race agreed???....from the bat boat...you have to drive the **** out of that (keep it off the chines) to BIG fast as hell cats where you don't toy with the edge in a turn as much. from cape cod where i worked my ASS off in f2-80,,,to saint clair bat boat race wher i could have zip tied the throttle to wot...i never lifed once in 3 laps...how's that...we all agree now
Old 09-10-2002, 11:54 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gotta go with Treadwell on this one

Spitfire,
Joe, (Audacity), and Eric Treadwell are two of the top men in their respective positions in an offshore boat. I've never raced F2, but I've been racing other classes alongside both of them. They're good. You won't go wrong following their suggestions and learning their techniques and skills.
From my experience, although I feel I can hold my own in a race, I'm no throttleman. The fact is, good throttlemen are usually pretty picky about who drives for them. Same is true for good drivers and who they have on the sticks. I myself have always had the good fortune of racing with some outstanding throttlemen. I have also raced with a "not so good" throttleman. I will never again race with a throttleman that I don't feel comfortable with.
As Eric said, it's a 50/50 deal in a raceboat. A good throttleman can win you lots of races, while a bad one can kill you. The same is true for a driver. One side is no more important than the other, and the best, most competitive teams respect each others job. It's a team effort, The best teams may not be the worlds best driver, or the worlds best T-man in the same boat. But a team that clicks, and works well together can make a huge difference in the overall performance in a race.
I have raced P class, but I too share concerns that someone may try to race a boat that may not be "race worthy". And a new/rookie team racing over their heads in an unsafe boat is going to be ugly sooner or later.
In my opinion, The Bat boat class is, by far, the safest way to get a taste of offshore racing. If you screw up, they are very forgiving boats. They are fast and competitive, yet safe and stable. They are a great learning class to gain that "seat of the pants" feel that all of the great drivers and throttlemen have. In a word, they gain you experience. And there is no alternative to seat time.
Good luck to you, and good racing!
Old 09-10-2002, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mr velocity,

your right with that. agood throttleman can coach a not so good driver and vice versa. yes jerry is one of the best at what he does but it's a lot easier when you spend countless hours testing and your ahead of the pack. but in factory class it is diffrent.

Treadwell
Old 09-10-2002, 12:27 PM
Registered

Hmmm......lots of good information here......I understand that seat time is a good equalizer and learning to read the water is also important which comes with more seat time.........I have ridden with someone who actually pops the throttle when out of the water before reentry......I guess this is his technique.....any thoughts on this.....I guess the thought being to try and keep the rpm's up without over revving so that reentry is smoother....I am just interested in becoming proficient and not shortening the life of my equipment needlessly.........
Old 09-10-2002, 12:45 PM
Registered

you can't win races if you don't finish!
Old 09-10-2002, 01:43 PM
Registered

Originally posted by audacity
you can't win races if you don't finish!
Ain't that the truth.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

If your boat is trimmed right there is not that much throttling going on.Its more about trimming the boat then throttling.Its got to be pretty big before I have to lift.Keep the boat level and make it up in avarage speed.I only lift when we are defanently air born and only lift mybe 60% off.Our motor has a rev limiter at 5300 rpm and a XR drive.Semi rough water we spike it all the time.
Dont forget this is racing. 500 hp matched to a XR drive is one great package.
Lesson # 2 is dont over trim thinking you will get more speed.IT DOESN"T WORK!!! you only lose controll and crash.Please be safe when you are practicing and always wear your life jacket and helmet if you are practicing at speed.
Randy
Old 09-10-2002, 02:02 PM
Registered

tip # 1387452A...if your using the rev limiter to throttle your scrubbing speed...the rev limiters are junk...it by no means is a soft touch! not saying i never hit them...but the boat WILL be faster if your just off it at less than wot and not on it at wot. like i said prior...do what you do...your do'n it right if your out front...actions speak louder than words....

a fan of show me don't tell me!
Old 09-10-2002, 02:07 PM
Offshore Addiction

yes eric,yes eric,but i dont wanna,yes master eric,you da man.....erics bigger than me.....but when andy was runnin our famous 1/2 lap,it was just shut up and on you little sh#$t....the drivers faces I liked to see is Beckleys after runnin with Lance or Mark....HA HA HA,whats up wild man call me about trying to get to the worlds......

Quick Reply: The art of being a throttleman.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.