Default Boat crash tonight in Fort Lauderdale

I just hate reading this kind of news.. RIP
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...530-story.html
Old 05-30-2015, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aww man... that sucks.

agree, I hate reading stuff like this.

With modern electronics its really hard to run into objects like sea walls because you can see the structure and your relationship to it on screen.
Im wondering how it happened.

UD
Old 05-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Aww man... that sucks.

agree, I hate reading stuff like this.

With modern electronics its really hard to run into objects like sea walls because you can see the structure and your relationship to it on screen.
Im wondering how it happened.

UD
I hate these reports.

A lot of people don't have those electronics. Not saying that was the case but I know a lot of people around here don't even have GPS.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn shame
Old 05-30-2015, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best of luck to the all involved ..
Old 05-31-2015, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts

Very sad.

Says around 8 o'clock, I believe it's still light at 8pm. Guess it doesn't matter. What a shame.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

I have boated in that area......seawalls on both sides, intracoastal about 200 ft wide.....not really hard to navigate and it is definitely a speed restricted zone.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...530-story.html

A 24-year-old Hollywood man has been identified as the person killed along the Intracoastal Waterway Saturday when a boat he was on crashed into a concrete dock.

Dalton Joseph Shirley was ejected from the open motorboat and thrown into the water when the vessel stuck the dock about 8 p.m. behind a house at 3200 NE 38th St., according to Liz Barraco, a spokeswoman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Two others aboard the vessel, a man and a woman, were injured in the collision and taken to the hospital, Barraco said.

A fourth person aboard, a man, was not injured.

The boat which hit the dock was traveling side by side with another vessel, with six people aboard, and heading south on the Intracoastal at the time of the crash, Barraco said.

Shirley was pronounced dead at the scene, Barraco said.

Barraco said authorities would conduct a criminal investigation to determine who was driving the boat, and whether speed or alcohol were factors in the crash. She said there was some indication "there might have been two people operating the vessel."

After the crash, those aboard the second vessel helped bring Shirley from the water and began efforts to resuscitate him, Barraco said. She said those aboard the two vessels were friends.

"It was a very emotional scene," she said as those aboard the two vessels, all friends, realized what had happened.

"Everyone was very cooperative," Barraco said. "Everyone was scared and upset, and good about helping us out."

In addition to officials from the Wildlife Commission, Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue and Police also responded to the site of the crash, which is behind a private home at the end of a cul-de-sac.

Leonardo Rivas said he saw first responders pull one person out of the water and then work at resuscitation.

Carly Landi, another area resident, said the crash was loud. "It sounded like a transformer blew — a big boom," she said.

Also at the scene were relatives of the boaters. One parent was overheard telling a police officer, "We're here to pick up our daughter." Parents stayed behind the police tape, waiting to be reunited with their children. One parent become visibly upset, crying and shaking.

The wildlife commission will be leading the investigation, "sifting through all the information so we can find out what led to this," Barraco said. "There are a lot of pieces, so this is going to be an open investigation for quite a while."