Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
what is this gear oil/lube reservoir for? >

what is this gear oil/lube reservoir for?

Notices

what is this gear oil/lube reservoir for?

Old 06-07-2015, 10:35 AM
dna
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is this gear oil/lube reservoir for?

I have a 92 Sleekcraft with a 454 Merc IO. I just bought it last year. Upon getting it out of storage and ready for the season I noticed a reservoir attached to the transom (inside the engine compartment) which says 'recommend Quicksilver gear oil'. The reservoir is near empty. My question is what is this oil for? It almost seems like it would be for the leg but I thought the oil in the leg had to be changed from outside via the drain screw? Also can I use any gear lube / oil or is there a specific type that is needed?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

It is what it says, fill it to the line or let it go low and beep at you
Old 06-07-2015, 12:15 PM
dna
Registered

Is gear lube and gear oil the same? The reservoir says to use Quicksilver gear lube. I have halvolen gear oil (80/90). Would that work? And what is the gear lube for - is it for the leg?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the fluid resivor for the drive.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:19 PM
dna
Registered

OK thanks. Can someone confirm if gear oil is the same as gear lube? Reservoir says to fill with gear lube, but I only have gear oil in the garage. Is there a difference? Thanks
Old 06-07-2015, 12:30 PM
Registered

In a pinch you can use gear oil to top the resivour off, I wouldnt use it to fill the whole drive.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
In a pinch you can use gear oil to top the resivour off, I wouldnt use it to fill the whole drive.
in a pinch maybe to top it off but get it out asap. regular gear oil will kill a bravo (ask me how i know . . . . ) Use QS high perf, the green stuff, always and religiously. I think Amsoil has suitable Bravo spec oil. The Bravo requires special additives for the cone clutch thingy and also additives to help it dissipate H20 i believe . . . . or something to that affect
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 06-07-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If this is a new to you boat it might be a good time to drain and refill the drive with the proper oil from the manufacturer. I would NOT mix lubes except in emergency and then drain and refill first chance.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glassdave was just a little quicker on the draw.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
in a pinch maybe to top it off but get it out asap. regular gear oil will kill a bravo (ask me how i know . . . . ) Use QS high perf, the green stuff, always and religiously. I think Amsoil has suitable Bravo spec oil. The Bravo requires special additives for the cone clutch thingy and also additives to help it dissipate H20 i believe . . . . or something to that affect
I use the High Perf green stuff as well, one thing to be careful of (and I have witnessed twice) is when switching oils is gelling, from syn to dino or vice versa. My reservoir was jelly and goouy in the bottom, had to pull it and parts wash it.

In the lower of my 2.5 I used mobile synthetic gear oil and it also gelled and dirty, found it when my prop shaft snapped and it was disassembled.

Last edited by JRider; 06-07-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.