Used boat prices/short supply looming? >

Used boat prices/short supply looming?

Notices

Used boat prices/short supply looming?

Old 06-10-2015, 10:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a short supply of quality used boats with a comparable short supply of quality buyers, its a wash. For people on here trying to sell your boat look at it with no emotion and consider price, desirability, and condition. You have to be the best of the comps to sell, if your a serious seller. Does not matter what you paid, invested, customized, etc. Its worth the final sale price and nothing less or more.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
lol CLA,, I did my first Poker Run in the Infinity. I was up all night installing the through hull exhaust before I drove from Chicago to Benton Harbor next AM. I had to make some noise. Best PR ever BTW. Pier 33/ Thunder Marine run, 1994
Hogie. There is an add in FB, I post one in the swap shop in the AM.

Don't know if this link will work but let's see.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6797...7204204015828/
I don't fb
Old 06-10-2015, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Not sure where you got that number but always seem to chime and I think you fail to take into account my boat had no trailer when I bought it. After having one made and what I got it for (stole it IMO) I am pretty much at a break even at the current price or even at a loss with the upkeep and work done on it.

Add in storage cost and tres's class and I am well at a loss.
Did you really just say that work done and upkeep and tres class and storage should somehow add value to your boat? My goodness.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

I think it depends really where you are at.. Of course in the masses the tides have changed. So I've been told.. But at least in our area there is a big younger crowd mid to late 20's just getting in with mid 20 Baja and scarabs and slowly getting into bigger boats. All of my friends love my boats and love helping on them. I can't talk for the amount of boys for sale, but I think it's DEFF a buyers market as long as you are willing to have some work done to the boats. Paint, interior, drives whatever. It leaves a nice market for people to get into the sport. As Matt Trulio said when I was on the phone with him last, the redone used boat is the new entry level boat.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
One thing I have noticed from the time of the financial crisis is that the 38 Donzi's and 38 and 42 Fountains with 700 Merc power that were blown out below dealer cost in 2008, 2009, 2010 for $200K + are pretty much holding their value from what they sold for back then. I'm amazed that people selling these very used boats are asking the same prices that they were sold for new 5+ years ago. On the other hand the older OL GTX's with 1075 and bigger power are selling for a fraction of what they going for back in 2008.
1075's are pricey to run if you maintain them perfectly. My wife used to send me links to 1075 boats that she liked til I told her the maintenance schedule and costs of running them. With the kind of hours we put on our boat and how I maintain them open checkbook, I couldn't run a 1075 boat if you GAVE me one.

Originally Posted by outlw36
So true. I believe that the used boat market is going to explode due to the lack of inventory.
People stopped buying them due to the economy but things have come back in a big way in New England.
Lack of good used boats means more money for used ones
As for the younger crowd, they usually can't afford the go fasts due to the cost of the boat, insurance, dock fees, maintenance and $400 bucks for the day in fuel.
$400 in fuel x 4 days a month = $1,600 that's a lot of disposable cash for most people to come up with.
Agreed. My friends my age (mid-30's) like boating but can't swing the costs. They **** themselves when I tell them what a year of boat ownership costs. People just aren't being paid the wages nowadays that can afford them to buy a boat for fun.

Originally Posted by 32fever
I agree with bowtie...

MTI, Nortech, etc. are building boats that cost $300k+ msrp.

I think the used market is going to be a great thing for those of us with "average man" boats. The people order 50' MTI's are the exceptions to boat buyers, not the rule. These are people with 500k+ incomes. For those "average" people in the 100-200k range (for HHI) that are shopping for a boat in a mid price range, those boats are going to hold value, in my opp. Those are the boats that were not built after 09. Those were the boats that many people ordering based on a good economy that thought things were going great. So, all the 30-42' boats sold to people with an average income that stretched the spending ceased being sold at some point. If you are in that 100-200k range, you can't afford to order a new 38' boat. You can barely afford a new rig to tow it. If you live in NYC or LA, you're just loving your studio apartment and watching big air you tube videos while you polish your Huffy. LOL!

In my opp, that's not going to get any better. The problem is, my $34k truck in 2000 would now sticker @ $60k. How many earn almost 100% more in 2015 than you earned in 2000? Some will, some will actually be less. Interest rates are low. So, to entice people to buy, reducing rates and extending terms is what banks will do. When you're at the bottom, that won't get better. I only see slow progress and that is all. Unless the 300k+ HH income folks start buying 38' boats to depreciate to $90k for the others to buy, the used market looks pretty strong to me.

My 9 year olds love to spend tablet time, but they love the boats more and will drop anything to go boating. I asked them while boating in FL in Dec if they'd rather do that or Disney. Boating wins. They think going to get ice cream in my 78 Lincoln or Iroc is cool, but they don't have an interest in cars, really. That I see as different. I loved cars as a kid. They do love sports, they'll play any sport over tablets or internet. We also limit their time per day on electronics to avoid them being dependent on them. I haven't had a boat in the water yet due to travel baseball and softball. Won't get one wet till July. But it's all enjoyable. We have friends/family that their kids live on electronics. I think they're missing out. There may be a day when they hit a wall when they are older, buy a VW Microbus and hit the streets selling tie dye on the corners. I do think part of that is parenting and kids don't have to live on devices. But I think you have to start young and work that continuously. It's easy to spend time on them.
You nailed it. Well said!
Old 06-11-2015, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Did you really just say that work done and upkeep and tres class and storage should somehow add value to your boat? My goodness.
No.

I didn't mean it that way. Only value I have added is the trailer it never had but if someone wishes they can buy the boat without it for cheaper than listed.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Nate, as I stated last year I'm still willing to run that Sonic around LOTO this summer with a "Fur Sail" sign on it!
Old 06-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Nate, as I stated last year I'm still willing to run that Sonic around LOTO this summer with a "Fur Sail" sign on it!
It would at least be getting good use that way
Old 06-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
It would at least be getting good use that way
Plus, once it's been dunked in LOTO, it's a freshwater boat. It'll sell within a week after it gets the freshwater designation! LOL
Old 06-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wait, a company called Oculus is introducing their virtual reality stuff this afternoon. I might never leave the couch myself. A business opportunity might be making the clear plastic couch protection that grandma had. Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.