Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Drilling an additional ram mounting hole in K-plane >

Drilling an additional ram mounting hole in K-plane

Notices

Drilling an additional ram mounting hole in K-plane

Old 09-09-2002, 09:19 PM
blackhawk

Default Drilling an additional ram mounting hole in K-plane

I installed longer K-planes on my boat last year. Helped the boat handle a lot in the slop but did scrub about 2 mph off the big end in flatter water. I was thinking about installing shorter rams to bring them up a little farther. But looking at them it would be a lot easier to drill another hole about an inch or so behind the stock hole which would bring the tab up farther. But, I want to make sure that this will not weaken the plate. Anyone done this?

Last edited by blackhawk; 09-09-2002 at 09:42 PM.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just fill the original hole and reinforce around the new hole???
Old 09-09-2002, 10:45 PM
blackhawk

Tinker, I will fill the original hole if it works. The new hole would still be in the strong part of the casting. I just want to make sure that the two holes that close together wouldn't weaken it.

Old 09-10-2002, 01:59 PM
blackhawk

Anyone, anyone? No one has tried this? I don't want to be the first!

Old 09-10-2002, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pressure point of that hole is on its top and bottom, not so much front to back, so a hole behind it, you wouldn't think it would be to much weaker. Then again anytime you drill anther hole you are effecting the integrity of the assembly.

The rib that the ram connects to, is it the same size an inch behind the original bolt hole, or does it taper down? If it tapers down, meaning you won't have as much stock on top and under the hole you are drilling, then it will not be as strong.

Good Idea, worth investigating.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:48 AM
blackhawk

Danny, the rib is the exact same size one inch behind the stock hole. That is what got me thinking.

My logic was most of the stress is on the bottom and the "back" of the hole(water is putting upward pressure). I think I would be fine if the new hole did what I wanted it to. However, my concern was that if it didn't and I had to go back to my original hole, would the "back" of that hole now be weaker?

Old 09-11-2002, 09:55 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 913 Likes on 459 Posts

Why not just machine a block of aluminum or other metal to fit inbetween the opening where the ram used to be and put a nut/bolt through it to take up the space and take any stress off that there may be there? any thought on that idea?

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-11-2002, 09:59 AM
blackhawk

Wally, that's a damn good idea for reducing the stress. I was hoping that someone else had already done this so I didn't have to be the one experimenting. But I may have to!!!

Old 09-11-2002, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blackhawk,

Thinking about this last night. The rib being the same size behind the exsisting hole is good. Now that you brought up the point of moving the ram back if it does not work. That is a new hurdle, if you have to move it back it will be weaker behind the ram connection.
Most of your pressure is aft of the ram. So if it will not work and you move it back you will deffinatly have to do something with the hole you just drilled. I like wally's idea of putting a machined componant in the unused hole, that will deffinatly help with absorbing the shock.
I think this will work. I would suggest doing the math on the distance the tab with move with how far back to drill the hole. I think if you put the hole in the right spot this will work without question and you won't have to worry about putting it back.

Another suggestion, when you make the componant to go into the unused hole. Make the componant the same size. .500" hole make .500" pin. Now freeze the pin for a day to shrink it a small amount so you can get it in the hole. When it warms up it will be a perfect fit. This will be the strongest fit. Zero tolerance.
Just putting something close will not add strength.

Good luck, keep me posted,
Danny
Old 09-11-2002, 10:56 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 913 Likes on 459 Posts

You do realise that with moving the ram out farther....thus raising the tab up higher you will loose a little in the doward position right? I dont know how far down you need the tabs to go but its just something to keep in mind.....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Quick Reply: Drilling an additional ram mounting hole in K-plane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.