Changing from #6 to Bravo? >

Changing from #6 to Bravo?

Notices

Changing from #6 to Bravo?

Old 09-11-2002, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing from #6 to Bravo?

What is involved in changing from a #6 Drive to a Bravo? Will the transom need to be filled and recut? Will the engines need to be moved backwards in the boat? What about the height of the engines in the boat?

A friend of mine is lookind at buying a boat that supposedly had 6's and big power. The guy took the power and drives and installed them in his new boat and had the original boat re fitted with stock power and Bravo drives.

Besides just looking at the installation is there anything he should be aware of reguarding the swap?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 09-12-2002, 07:52 AM
Registered

Anybody?

I guess the main question is about the transom. Will it need to be filled and recut and how can you expect a job like this to hold up long term?

SOMEONE MUST KNOW.

Ron
Old 09-12-2002, 08:28 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Ron, yes you would have to fill the transom. If done properly there is no problem with it holding up. Engines will have to be remounted also.

Another approach would be to get some extension boxes made, #6 on the transom side, Bravo at the aft end. The boat would probably like it and you would avoid a lot of work, probably come out to be the same money when you are done.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:37 AM
Registered

Thanks Marc,

The conversion has already been done on the boat. He really wants to buy the boat if the conversion will not give him problems. He asked me to ask on this board for him. I think the boat is everything he wants and the price is right he just wants to make sure he doesnt buy a problem.

Ron
Old 09-12-2002, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

rj,

When I had my AT refitted from TRS drives to Bravo Ones, it had to be filled. And with the #6 being even larger than the TRS, I am quite sure it would STILL have to be filled in even much more so. Saber Marine (boat manufacturer) in Coopersville, Michigan did the work and they have done a lot of stuff like that. From what I saw that they did, they started from scratch and took a plug of wood cut in the shape and size of the existing TRS hole, inserted it in the hole with a marine grade puddy (stuff is practically bulletproof) that was applied around the edges of the plug. The plug was then inserted in the hole and finished off and filled in with more puddy. Once dry, the holes are ready to be messured and re-cut. It is for the most part a filled in transom that could be started from scratch by installing any drive at any X-demension.

I think the concept is okay, but I guess it would depend on who was doing the work i.e. the integrety of the work being done, and what materials were being used.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Marc, nice box idea. How about a box for a bravo to 6 drive conversion with leaving the engine in the stock location. Sort of like the Arneson conversion. Trans in the box, etc.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:41 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Marty, we've done it. Great minds think alike.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With all the XR, IMCO, etc horror stories, then why haven't we seen your bravo to 6 conversion. ?$. Ok, box, trans, ?used drive= ?15-20K.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no glass expert, but I've been around alot of this type of work, and it's a pretty straight forward job.

I have replaced an entire transom on my old boat, and it has been fine for 7 years with zero stress cracks or issues. I replaced all the wood, puttied in the gaps and glassed over everything 2 layers inside and out, then had it bodyworked, and painted. No issues since!

A friend of mine has #6's and twin 1000's, he has changed his x-dim 3 times, every time he filled the hole, puttied, reglassed over everything, bodyworked, and painted, then cut the new holes out. He has had no problems either. all in the quest for that couple of extra mph...

I dont see it as a big issue, but I understand the concern. Depending on who did the work, materials used, ect... I would have more worries about how much abuse the boat took when it had big power and 6's on it. What speeds it ran then, what types of water it ran in, and be sure to have all stringers and bulkheads checked very well, by someone that really knows thier sh*t. Even if some of them are suspect, they are not the worst thing in the world to re-glass them as long as they aren't totally broken. It may be a good bargaining tool on price.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:27 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Marty, it is the $$$ ($40k with new parts) and the time for me to promote it. I guess I should at least let people know it is available.

Quick Reply: Changing from #6 to Bravo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.