Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bayliner of Performance Boats ? >

Bayliner of Performance Boats ?

Notices

Bayliner of Performance Boats ?

Old 09-15-2002, 12:11 PM
aabfeh

Default Bayliner of Performance Boats ?

I don't want to start a war. Please no bashing, just honest opinions. I am the owner of a 97 32ft Bayliner cruiser. (Yep, I said it). This boat has served my family well for very slow river cruising. I couldn't have been happier with another boat. The problem is now that I want to change to a different boat I can't sell it. All I hear is "it's a Bayliner, no thanks". I had a feeling this might happen when I bought it, but we all make mistakes. That's the question. I don't want to make a mistake again. What boats have a questionable reputation that make resale difficult? What boats sell the best. I'm in the midwest. lots of LOTO. Probably in the 28-32 ft range. Please suck it up and tell the truth guys. If you really want me to make you cry, the boat I had before this one was a Mariah. Great boat again, only they went out of business. Again, gave it away after a long struggle. My wife says if I blow it three times I have to take up golf.

Old 09-15-2002, 12:21 PM
Rick252

I always thought Bayliner made a nice larger cruiser. It was the, what I call, K-Mart blue light specials that hurt them. Those little 7K boats with the Force ( Chrysler) outboards were junk. Now there being made in Mexico.. Sorry for your troubles, just keep trying

Old 09-15-2002, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

to a point, you get what you pay for, it's that simple. anything tends to go down in quality the more it is mass produced. boats such as BAJA, POWERQUEST, CHECKMATE are not in the same league as a PANTERA, CIGARETTE, and APACHE. do not bash me, this stuff is true, and these top notch boats also cost much more. BTW i do not own any of these boats
Old 09-15-2002, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is just like a jet boat. cheap but when it comes time to sell, you know why you got such a good deal.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your boat is well taken care of, priced within what the market will bare, and it is marketed to the right target group of buyers you shouldn't have too much problem in selling it as long as you realize you'll never recoup your investment.

I agree with what Saber28 says in regard to "you get what you pay for". However, I believe that to be especially true if you are looking at a used boat no matter who the manufacturer was. In my opinion it is how well the boat has been taken care of. It always amazes me at how some people don't take care of their stuff.

As far as new boats go, I have been through custom builders as well as mass production shops and quite honestly have seen good and bad in each. The best advise I can offer is when you narrow your list down on a boat, do yourself a favor and take a plant tour.

Good luck in your sale and aquisition of your new toy.

(By the way...golf is one of the most frustrating things I ever took up )
Old 09-15-2002, 02:28 PM
Cramer

Now that is a tuff question. But there is an answer. Just as saber28 said you get what you pay for. In other words if you buy a Baja vs Outerlimits you won't pay as much for the Baja. In retrospect you don't lose as much ether. In other words the dollar amount lost would be greater on the Outerlimits but the percentage would be lower. Does that make sence? Because of the quality and saturation of product. Don't bash me I did not say that Baja was bad, but it does not have the same options and features you would find on a high dollar performance boat. And the number of Bajas vs Outerlimits is not even a contest. By the way I would buy a Baja for the right price.

Old 09-15-2002, 03:37 PM
Registered

Boats are not good investments. But buying a well card for used boat will save you thousands. I recently sold a 1989 Checkmate, which was in like new condition. It had 215hrs on it and was always stored covered. I sold it in 3 days using a local newspaper ad for $500 less than I bought it for after two years of use. The guy that bought it walked around it once looked at the engine and said sold. He said he looked at quite a few newer boats and none came close to this conditon. So if you buy one and keep it in pristine condition you won't loose much on resale.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had always heard that the big Bayliners were a decent boat. They indeed get bashed due to the 12.99 trailer and all specials. Keep at it, the right buyer will come along. Perhaps a survey to go along with it would speed your sale.
Tim T.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:01 PM
Registered

Mate, my neighbor has a well cared for 99 21' chapparral with 40 hours on it, he wants to sell, over 45k into it, dealership will give him 25k!! he wants at least 30. erfect condition etc...
Old 09-15-2002, 08:21 PM
toonatime

Well I think the majority of shoppers are looking for a great used 32' cruiser at a reasonable price.. & Bayliners 32 w heat/air/gen/bottom paint is one of the most functional and reasonably priced on the market...Keep pluggin..if priced right it will sell....

Quick Reply: Bayliner of Performance Boats ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.