Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Donald Aronow (what's in a name ???) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32858-donald-aronow-whats-name.html)

ragtop409 09-12-2002 12:27 PM

Donald Aronow (what's in a name ???)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi it has worked so good for Apache (2000 posts and 60000 veiws) I thought we should have one for THE KING. So I will start the questions the pictures and the bickering:D .
Why did the man that desiend and built some of the best boat hulls creat what would become the Blue Thunders? When every body new it was a WET boat that did not work right. Had he (The King) sliped?
Charlie

CigDaze 09-12-2002 12:39 PM

I don't know the answer to your question, but here's one of my favorite quotes. I have it displayed above my desk at work.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence, genius will not, talent will not, education alone will not, persistance and determination are omnipotent...Live every day to it's fullest for you give a day of your life to it."
-Don Aronow

WARPAINT 09-12-2002 02:16 PM

Correct me if im wrong but if i remember correctly the blue thunders were rigged with mild 454/420s and a rather heavy boat.Who knows,lighter layup and more power,maybe they could have been contenders.;)

ssherman 09-12-2002 02:45 PM

I think Aronow was all business and knew exactly what he was doing.......Didn't the government request boats that could go through anything?????? They could do that.

THEJOKER 09-12-2002 02:47 PM

Don was a master at starting boat companies, racing them and then selling the company. By the time the Blue Thunders came out George Bush was a huge fan and friend. The rest is history - Don was a bad ass - most people do not realize that he raced many small boats in the beginning of his career. He would be so impressed with the Factory Classes today - just my .02 worth - brian

THRILLSEEKER 09-12-2002 03:45 PM

Phantom Chaos put together a huge outline that is very educational about Don, if someone can find the post it will answer more questions than you probably have, with some answers you might not expect to hear:)

THEJOKER 09-12-2002 09:46 PM

The KING deserves to be on the 1st page

Let's hear some Aronow stories > I've read all the books - don't get me started!

BH

Wardey 09-12-2002 09:51 PM

I was really looking forward to the rumor of a movie about the "Life of Don Aronow" but it never happened I don't beleive. Wardey

THRILLSEEKER 09-13-2002 07:13 AM

I just remembered, the outline that Phnatom Chaos did is on a post titled The Ghost of Don Aronow, its some great info on Don. I think it was posted a few weeks ago:confused:

Fast Shafts 09-13-2002 02:03 PM

I don't have a Don story, but I do have Don's old boat. I'm restoring-his 1967 World Champion "Maltese Magnum". This 28' Magnum boat was Don's, then sold to Billy Martin and raced as "Hustler" and then sold to Frank Lach and raced as "White Knight"
I put a new fiberglass and balsa cored deck, new stringers/transom and regelcoated the hull. I've got a few thousand hours into hull. There are some great photos of this boat in "Thunderboat Row" and "Searace". If I was more computer literate-I'd post some photos. Hope to have it done next year and race a few events in P-5.:D

BOB G.:)