Notices

Mercury Releases In-House Designed and Built 300- and 350-hp Stern Drives

Old 07-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 07-23-2015, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maximus I partially disagree. Many new cars can be serviced at many private shops, parts are available through parts stores nationwide, many are interchangeable. This is similar to the Apple business model, develop a desirable product to sick in consumers to the ecosystem and bend the consumers and dealers over a barrel in order to allow them to service their products. In the end only the consumer suffers. Just my useless opinion
Old 07-23-2015, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The company said the 6.2L is not burdened with automotive restrictions and unnecessary technologies that result in additional cost and complexity without adding value.
Maybe I'm dense, but what is hi-tech and unnecessarily restrictictive about the LS platform? Or for that matter, the ford mod motor? The long block is all they really used.

I agree, business decision to lock people into Merc parts.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:16 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Is it possible using the 23° platform that they don't have to use cat converters ? And if they use the current GM stuff, they will have to ?

Or is it all converters now no matter what ?
Old 07-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
Maximus I partially disagree. Many new cars can be serviced at many private shops, parts are available through parts stores nationwide, many are interchangeable. This is similar to the Apple business model, develop a desirable product to sick in consumers to the ecosystem and bend the consumers and dealers over a barrel in order to allow them to service their products. In the end only the consumer suffers. Just my useless opinion
This is what I'm saying. The private shops can service but they must buy their parts through the dealer parts network. (jobber) rate. The newer the vehicle the fewer aftermarket options available. I'm not saying I like it I'm just explaining the methodology. The risk of alienating the few do it yourselfers (like us) is limited.