Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wake boats and cruisers are way ahead of offshore boats >

Wake boats and cruisers are way ahead of offshore boats

Notices

Wake boats and cruisers are way ahead of offshore boats

Old 07-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

The fancy touch screens in the wakeboard boats with all the gauges and controls etc. are pretty cool if you are only going 20-40 mph...

http://www.malibuboats.com/innovations.html

Might be a little harder to deal with at higher speeds and rougher waters I would think. I prefer the old school gauges anyone can read from a distance instead of a big menu system and B.S. to scroll through and confuse everyone but the driver with. Don't get me wrong I LOVE me some technology though! If they put an iPad in the dash I'm sure my 5 year old would drive better than me though lol.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No digital gauges in my go fasts, please.
An analog gauge gives a position. When running hard, a split second glance gives a go/no-go (needle in middle = good, needle high/low = bad). The brain has to process the information presented from a digital gauge, remember an acceptable range, etc. There was a study/survey done years ago touting analog readings as preferred when there are abundance of measurements displayed (such as oil temp, water temp, RPM, speed, water pressure, boost, transmission temp, etc, etc, etc.) Digital is great as an additional tool for verification, troubleshooting, or recall purposes, but fiddling with a couple small buttons at speed while bouncing around makes it less than ideal as the primary way to determine if you're about to grenade an engine.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

^ Agreed!
Old 07-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phragle
Its one thing to put a bunch of fancy doodads in a wakeboard boat put it all in an offshore boat, than actually run the boat hard in some real water and how much of it is going to be in one piece??
BINGO. My microwave is busted (third one, even!)...I can't even make popcorn! This saddens me and makes me wish I still had my skank-pulling Fountain.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
No digital gauges in my go fasts, please.
An analog gauge gives a position. When running hard, a split second glance gives a go/no-go (needle in middle = good, needle high/low = bad). The brain has to process the information presented from a digital gauge, remember an acceptable range,.
Back in the old Helicopter days, the analog gauges were turned to reflect straight up for normal reading. When you glanced down, anything not pointing straight up caught your attention quick!!!

Although this does not look good aesthetically, it worked great!!
Old 07-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

many go fast builders have already integrated a digital display in their fastest boats so I think that question is answered, the issue is they are just starting now and they are "add ons" some wake boats have been integrating these for years. I guess I would just like to see the alpha dogs lead the way with technology, like in F1 racing, technology should trickle down not up IMO.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
Back in the old Helicopter days, the analog gauges were turned to reflect straight up for normal reading. When you glanced down, anything not pointing straight up caught your attention quick!!!

Although this does not look good aesthetically, it worked great!!
We used to clock the gauges on race cars and bikes the same way. Not nearly as important as potentially saving one from falling from the sky to a fiery death, but yeah....
Old 07-22-2015, 12:37 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

yeah no digital stuff for me. I like the look of 18 gauges on the dash and a gps with non touch screen gps. ever wonder why all hard core fishing boats have 2 big GPS on the boat? screen gets wet and no worky.

sensation came out with the boat that had the 1/4 canopies. it was kinda out the box. haven't seen many of them.

go fast v hulls need to start looking into the O/B power again. bigger cockpits and the plush seating of the cc's that are out now. the new 29' AT as all of this.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only wish would be for modern backlit gauges...this old school passive perimeter side lighting is so 1900s...especially for what they charge.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 07-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Your digital layout can be in the form of an analog gauge.
Attached Thumbnails Wake boats and cruisers are way ahead of offshore boats-port-helm.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.