Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Nor-T 420 MC rough water, NT 390 vs Contender 39, scorpion Serket 98 motor choices >

Nor-T 420 MC rough water, NT 390 vs Contender 39, scorpion Serket 98 motor choices

Notices

Nor-T 420 MC rough water, NT 390 vs Contender 39, scorpion Serket 98 motor choices

Old 07-23-2015, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nor-T 420 MC rough water, NT 390 vs Contender 39, scorpion Serket 98 motor choices

Hi everyone, brand new to Offshore Only.

I'm moving to Bellevue, WA from South FL, I've spent most of my life on offshore boats, so I believe I am pretty competent when it comes to safely boating offshore. I'd like a nice, fast boat to 1) commute from Bellevue to Seattle and back, and, 2) be able to use occasionally for a fun day in the sun in the ocean. My first question is, can the Nor-Tech 420 MC handle rough water, also I know one was built with twin Mercury racing 700's and they said that because it handled the speed (100 mph (What's with the using mph and not knots anymore?)) so well; they were thinking of building one with Mercury racing twin 1100's; is this realistic, could the boat handle the increased speed? How much do you think this build would cost?

My second question is for the second boat that I'd like to buy in the near future (within the next couple years): one for fishing, I'll be selling my Yellowfin and have been thinking about a Contender 39, a Nor-Tech 390, and I'm open to other suggestions but nothing too hardcore that the family can't relax on it. That excludes boats like the NT 392. I like fast boats, so far I've heard the fastest outboard setup for boats like this are the quad 400r's. My question is, is that setup applicable to the Contender, how fast could I hope for? They pushed the NT 390 97 mph, but I'd like a T Top, how much would that slow down the boats?. Is the Contender more seaworthy then the NT? Which one has a faster hull? How about fishability, and build quality? Do we know enough about the 400r's to say whether they're reliable or not? Has anyone had or seen any problems with them yet?

My third question is about the third boat I'd like to get, my son sails and I'd like for him to be able to tie up against it, so I'm looking at a RIB. I also need to be able to tow this boat around the country as I drive him to his regattas (I have a GMC 3500). I've been thinking about the Scorpion Serket 98 or something similar, and I'd like comparable suggestions please. What are the fastest most reliable outboard I can put on this? The website notes that it can have twin Yamaha or Mercury 250, 300, or 350's and I saw a video on there website of them using twin Evinrude G2 300's. Could this boat take twin Merc 400r's? If not how do the Evinrude 300's, Mercury racing 300's, Verado 350's and the Yamaha 350's compare on this boat? Please note anything important that I should know about these outboards?

Sorry for the long questions, but I have been so focused on the big move I've put all of this off until the last moment.

Thanks,
Spencer