Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain 29 2011 600sci always broke xr!!! >

Fountain 29 2011 600sci always broke xr!!!

Notices

Fountain 29 2011 600sci always broke xr!!!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Ok my bad Rik.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
Chad, your like the little chicken that won't cross the road as it doesn't know what's on the other side.

How do you know a Bravo would work on it unless someone tried it? Seriously, I'm not saying it would be good nor bad but I sure as H don't tell people to avoid something simply because I don't know anything about it.

In those vast situations I merely keep my expert opinion to myself.
Fair enough, you know I didn't mean to make it sound bad or like I was bashing Ya.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Cool part about this is the OP boat is so New and "worthy" of some upgrades. The 29' fountain is a nice hull, it can handle some power and speed, plus the 600sci is a great platform to upgrade down the road. ONLY problem is the drive.

Whatever drive upgrade this boat gets it WILL take some dialing in to make it perfect. All just depends on how long the OP chooses to keep the boat.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the idea of Arneson drives, but as said above, unless you have rock solid R&D on exact mounting and prop testing it is likely that its going to cost you a butt-load of money to get it right. Also- any fool can see that a #6, NXT, SCX4, etc... surface drive is different than an arneson because you still have the ability to get positive trim out of the boat, you may have to add a spacer, but you can adjust height because they have a downshaft. You cannot do that with an arneson, making it much more costly to figure it out yourself. Not to mention props. Some people have obviously forgotten that a lot of us do not have unlimited funds to drop 50k on a twin drive swap (forget the "oh but you can sell your stuff" because we all know what used parts go for, and you still have to properly fill in where they were all mounted and have it painted which isn't cheap).

OP-
If it were me in your situation (which I sort of am), I would opt for the SCX if you can afford it, or do the Max Mod Extreme (billet lower) from All-American. I'm going with the All-American drive, I have their phase two's on my 33 and right now behind 525 efi's and I actually run my boat like an offshore boat. Four years behind 525's and two behind 496 HO's and those drives have not missed a beat. Change gear lube and run.

The SCX's will handle that power no problem, George's drives at All-American will handle the power as well. Don't get caught up in a d*ck swinging contest about whose props look cooler and who has SSM's/Arnesons. We all need a Semi to tow our 100' super skater with quad 5000hp turbines and run 250mph in 10' waves... but the fact is that all of us cannot work that into our budget.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:39 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AJ the I/O might work best on this boat, however, if you honestly believe that any drive at the surface can generate positive lift you are sadly mistaken. There's simply no way to trim them to get any leverage in order to develop a positive trim situation. After all, they are at the surface.

This is the fallacy that everyone is starting to realize when they raise their X dimension and run into the exact same situation that they bash the Arneson for. The propellers are the propellers. The cost will be EXACTLY the same to test the propeller on an I/O as it is an Arneson for the propeller doesn't know which shaft it is being placed upon. You trade one for the other. No one is immune to this it's just the knowledge of the facts are not commonly known and it's easy as CHAD proves to run with this ignorance and propagate it on the internet until everyone believes it. This is how Chad learned what he knows.

As for filling in? Painting? In the long run in our applications we save you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and give you speed and reliability with less headaches. We don't promise anyone what the resale value of used I/O's will be but it is worth something to the equation for certain.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:08 AM
Registered

Oh Rik get the F over yourself. I already admitted fault. And yet you still need to insult me? Chill out man. You know me and know I respect you and your product as well as your wife. So no need to keep going.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:56 AM
Registered

The real issue is money, Rik. To be honest, we all know that the majority of the used market is going to be bravo equipped and we can buy almost 10 drives for the cost of the conversion, and that's if it will work. A lot of us can afford 6-8k at a time, but not 50k at once. That is all I'm trying to say. It sucks, but it's the reality of things.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I know everyone is jumping on the SCX bandwagon but it is just as easy and a hell of a lot cheaper to bolt a BMax on with your lower of choice. Gears are a dime a dozen for lowers...actually lowers are cheap enough to have an extra in your truck. Of course this is all dependent on TQ/HP levels, load and abuse, hell go with BMax upper and SCX lower.

And what is the latest on the Drive Guardian? Love the concept
Old 08-04-2015, 06:24 AM
Registered

Drive Guardian looks awesome! Hopefully simple insurance for us little guys!! :-D
Old 08-04-2015, 09:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ajfisher
The real issue is money, Rik. To be honest, we all know that the majority of the used market is going to be bravo equipped and we can buy almost 10 drives for the cost of the conversion, and that's if it will work. A lot of us can afford 6-8k at a time, but not 50k at once. That is all I'm trying to say. It sucks, but it's the reality of things.
Your saying exactly what I was trying to say. $$$$

And the thing is- I'm a huge Arneson supporter, I had just told Rik at this years Miami show how great the ASD7 is. He did a lot of work on it and made it right.

PS- My original post was made at 3am at Skaterfest! Lol
That's probably why it came out wrong. Haha

Last edited by precisiondetails; 08-04-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.