Mercury Racing Head Sees 400-HP Four-Stroke As Top Choice For Stock Class >

Mercury Racing Head Sees 400-HP Four-Stroke As Top Choice For Stock Class

Notices

Mercury Racing Head Sees 400-HP Four-Stroke As Top Choice For Stock Class

Old 08-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,228 Posts
Default Mercury Racing Head Sees 400-HP Four-Stroke As Top Choice For Stock Class

Interesting perspective—publicly expressed for the first time—from Mercury Racing's Erik Christiansen, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...lacement-power
Old 08-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Just yammering out loud... but, I think it would be an easier sell if Merc released a shorter mid section similar to the X-Cat Prototype rather than have racers jump on board 100% running an engine designed to service the BIG CC market.

More power is great but finding the sweet spot in the triangle of Balance, power and rigging dimesions is a big factor is capitalizing over the XS - IMHO.

Nastybug's new 308's performance will be a tell tale for the 400's adaptability to the cat market in its current form.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice article but not sure what Org. Merc thinks is looking at the 400's for stock class.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Nice article but not sure what Org. Merc thinks is looking at the 400's for stock class.
The Mercury Racing executive was simply saying what he believes, and what the company would like to see, as the replacement engine for the class. While they certainly don't need permission from any racing organization to express that preference, the point I think you're making (that no one competing in SBI's Stock class currently is testing with the 400R) is valid. If, in fact, SBI Stock class racers decided that's what they want (the 400R) then I can't see any reason why SBI would have an issue with the adoption of that engine. But, again, as no current team in the class has expressed interest in running that package, it doesn't seem likely.

As Mercury Racing Erik Christiansen's said clearly in the article, although he has a preference he will support whatever power package the racers choose.

I would, however, gently suggest that expecting Mercury Racing to create a special engine for six to eight raceboat is, just perhaps, a tad unrealistic. The return on investment simply isn't there.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Registered

I believe the SS class has decided on the engine for the future, I'm pretty sure you know that already. I thought you would have broken that news by now.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
I would, however, gently suggest that expecting Mercury Racing to create a special engine for six to eight raceboat is, just perhaps, a tad unrealistic. The return on investment simply isn't there.
Marketing a "special engine" is not just limited to raceboats... there was more 2.5's that were rigged on performance cats that never seen a race course because they had the benifit of strong,light weight power and small mids that suited the cats. 400hp with the geometry of the 2.5 would make an interesting transformation on older hulls and modern cats alike.

Apples and Oranges I know, but a good grocer sells both when there is demand.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

If its the 400 then we'll have 3-4 High Dollar teams that can afford it, Instead of Making a class affordable to get more teams involved.. Are they running the country too?? I see a pattern of Stupidity going on....
Old 08-08-2015, 10:55 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Marketing a "special engine" is not just limited to raceboats... there was more 2.5's that were rigged on performance cats that never seen a race course because they had the benifit of strong,light weight power and small mids that suited the cats. 400hp with the geometry of the 2.5 would make an interesting transformation on older hulls and modern cats alike.

Apples and Oranges I know, but a good grocer sells both when there is demand.
You make an interesting point and the sales success of the 1650, originally targeted at "racers" (although that could have been clever marketing) reinforces it. However, I'm really not a marketing person (just ask Jason Johnson, my business partner). I just wanted to present something of an "official" Mercury Racing viewpoint, because although there's been a ton of discussion on this topic I don't recall seeing anything substantial—or anything at all for that matter—from Mercury Racing. So now, at least, people have something to look at and like, dislike, love, hate or anything else. It's just a data point, but one I think sheds lights on the thinking there.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:00 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
I believe the SS class has decided on the engine for the future, I'm pretty sure you know that already. I thought you would have broken that news by now.
Well, Frank, I cannot print what I hear. I can only print what I can confirm. So you probably know something (many things) I don't, but in this case ... I have nothing solid in any direction.

I spoke to (Stock-class racer) Ryan Beckley yesterday and he didn't tell me that a decision had been made. Until I have something I can confirm, I can't report anything. And in case you're wondering ... I have nothing.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:10 AM
Registered

That makes sense I can understand your position, the decision was made in Michigan City you can give one of the other stock racers a call possibly Chris or Gary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.