Notices

What is a Sleekcraft

Old 10-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What is a Sleekcraft

My buddy asked me about this boat, I gave him the steer clear line based on the pro charger and I'm guessing this is a typical California boat meant for rivers out there, fast but not good in the ruff we boat lake erie.

Am I wrong? any info would be great whether I'm right or wrong
Old 10-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...item5646a4d3ca
Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Sleekcraft has been around since the 70s.....that model since thew early to mid 80s.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
My buddy asked me about this boat, I gave him the steer clear line based on the pro charger and I'm guessing this is a typical California boat meant for rivers out there, fast but not good in the ruff we boat lake erie.

Am I wrong? any info would be great whether I'm right or wrong
friend of mine has that same hull but with twins. It actually runs out pretty good and is a pretty fun boat. Handles lake Erie slop just fine, its a 24 degree hull i believe. The Pro Charger is fine if your only making a couple of pounds of boost, its when ya really try an crank up the wind that they get difficult.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to say the Sleekcraft 34Heritage would be better suited for a lake like Erie. It's a Don Aronow-designed hull. In the 28' range Apache and Pantera would be worth looking at.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one in the mid 80s nice boats with beautiful gell work.. jet boat .. it was lots of fun.

Last edited by customryder; 10-26-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Seekcraft Boats

Sleekcraft was started in SoCal in the mid-60s by Bruce Nescher (Whittier CA). Started out in a very similar way to Eliminator as Bruce was a racer and wanted a "better boat". Became well known in the river-racer/jetboat crowd in the 70s. Started building raised deck "day cruisers" in the 70s. These were low-deadrise but fairly good running boats that were very popular on rivers and lakes in the west coast.

The boat in question was first introduced during the '85 model year (If I remember right). I was a dealer for Bruce in the midwest at that time and I bought all of the boats he had at Imtec (the dealer show in Chicago) that year. We sold a lot of these boats which were introduced as the "enforcer". First the 28' was tooled and then a 23' and a 26' and 36' were introduced. Most had single big-blocks (except for the 36'); but we had a few with twin 350s as well.

There was a variation of the 28' that was built as a tunnel vee; a design that was very similar to the Stoker boats of the day. I tested one in SoCal that had twin 2.5 mercs on a B-Bracket that really ran well. (I'd love to know where that boat is now).

In terms of rough water usage, we used them all the time on Lake Michigan. In my judgement, I'd say that while there might be "better" designs out there today, we never one time had any kind of hull or structural failure or cracking (stress cracks or otherwise). The gelcoat work was stellar, the interiors were well done and all of the years I was a dealer, the only warranty issues were very minor.

In terms of the boat, you'll be fine. The motor I wouldn't want to provide input on as these kinds of motors are only as reliable and good as the person who put them together.

Good Luck!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Researched these boats pretty hard a while back and loved the look. Often big singles and run comfortably in the low to mid 70's but I don't know beyond that. For some reason I thought the hull was just 22deg of deadrise, but I would imagine glassdave is right and I'm probably wrong. The 28 seemed to run good in 2-4ft chop. Just my opinion though
Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He can buy the boat and I will trade him my N/A Velocity. I would be more than happy to help him out
Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the lines of that boat and the price sure seems right (of course who knows where it will be in 10 hours). If I wanted a closed bow I might even be interested. Did Sleekcraft change the hull design on later models??? Seems like I have seen very similar hulls by Sleekcraft that were stepped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.