Commentary: 10 Reasons The 200XS Is The Right Call For Stock Class

Notices

Commentary: 10 Reasons The 200XS Is The Right Call For Stock Class

Old 08-18-2015, 12:04 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts
Default Commentary: 10 Reasons The 200XS Is The Right Call For Stock Class

Veteran Stock-class offshore racer Gary Ballough weighs in, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...or-stock-class
Old 08-18-2015, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Great Point of View GB! I agree with you 100 percent. Like stated before back in the day of when there was 10-15 stock class 28 Skaters the stock 200hp boats were as fast as the C Class ones in the rough water. If the speed is the problem with everyone in their mind going slower remove the speedometers. The public will not be able to tell the difference and I think everyone wants to see affordable, competitive racing. Otherwise it will never get to the next level. This class could be something special and bring new blood into a sport the is need of it. Just my opinion. Great article Matt.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My family and I drove 5.5 hours to the Port Huron race to watch the excitement, some of the best racing was the slower classes where they had a nice group of boats battling it out! If front of them was the FJ Doug Wright with the 200's. It was more then fast enough, and if there was more then one boat in its class the racing would have been killer!
I leaned over to my wife and said that's the class I want to be in, 32', light, fast, "affordable", and they need more boats.

The point I'm making is... Speed is great but if there is only one boat to race then I'll go to a poker run and watch them instead. Watching a half dozen 90mph boats racing is much more exciting to watch then 1-2 115mph boats running by themselves.

If the 200's are cheaper, easily adaptable, and able to get more boats on the course then I don't see any reason not to use them.

What are the issues with using the 200's besides top speed? Is the setup, prop choice, ballast, etc...more crucial due to lack of hp? What does a pair of 200's cost? Is Mercury interested in setting up a few boats to promote the class and their products at a reduced price???

I'm just a spectator that wants to see more boats race...
Old 08-18-2015, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting point of view.

What is the anticipated cost of the modifications listed to make the 300xs truly raceable?

question answered. $6000. in mods.

Last edited by Maximus; 08-18-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree

Years ago we used to have a pretty robust OPC Racing Association here in Ontario. Mod VP was a 12 to 20 boat field almost every race and you could see everything from Allisons to Webbcraft 17 to 20 ft hulls compete with stock 200's on the transom. Pure V hulls with maybe a step or a flat pad at the back. These things were all over the water trying to corner them and then trim up for speed in the straights. Great racing back in the day. Then along came the Stoker's and STV's , Eliminator and Seebold hulls (which are really tunnel hulls with a v-shaped pad in the center and it became who has more money to spend and the racing became boring.

Factory 1 and F-2 boats in the 90's were a great class of racing to watch. Too bad the rules got bent and twisted so much it died.

Speaking of Poker Runs. As much as I'll go to see one local to us.
I wonder when the Coast Guard or other authorities will say enough is enough.
At a race, sure you have 100+ mph boats going around a closed race course that is patrolled or at least monitored by volunteers that are able to reach a boat that has perhaps flopped or had any sort of problem. And the Racers have all the required safety gear on (helmets and lifelines).
At your average Poker Run we now have boats capable of running 150+mph and the participents are running on open lakes and rivers (lots of fishermen and other boaters out enjoying their day on the water as well), wearing little more than flip flops and a smile, with no safety coverage should somebody lose steering and hook a boat at speed.

Just seems to me the closing a body of water to hold a 'Race" should be less expensive insurance wise than to have a "Poker Run" on an open body of water.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Key point 1. This is the "stock class" (not trying to be the fastest class
Is there any chance Mercury is lobbying the Org for their own reasons?
Old 08-18-2015, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The 200xs is a bolt on solution. No mods required. The 300xs is another story like posted above. And as an owner of a cat with 300xs's on it I as well as some of my friends with other cats have blown a few powerheads as well.
Also once they start playing with the motors in real world race conditions the motors stock only make power to around 6200 rpm. In order to get the speed they looking for they will need bigger pitch props and the acceleration will suffer. A high RPM motor is better fit Probably why in the rough water or short course with a lot of turns FJ propellers is able to hang with the other boats.

Last edited by Double Rigged; 08-18-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

What is Mercury's commitment to continue building the 200XS?
Old 08-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would venture to say that Gary knows more about that class than just about anyone. If he thinks that the 200xs is a good fit for the class, then I would agree and support him!
Old 08-18-2015, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any solution should require a manufacturer willing to put up a performance bond for at least 5 years of manufacturing and price availability.
Steve