How many hours are to many on a 496? >

How many hours are to many on a 496?

Notices

How many hours are to many on a 496?

Old 08-30-2015, 09:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many hours are to many on a 496?

Looking at 2 boats that have about 500 hours on them, should I be concerned? What is the life expectancy?
Old 08-30-2015, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been told hours are just a number -- PROVIDED -- ALL of the proper maintenance has been done and ALL documentation is available. Of course that also depends how the engines have been run - WOT 90% of the time - is a heck of a lot difference than easy cruising. Salt or Fresh has got a lot to do with it too.

just my 2 cents
Old 08-30-2015, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Get an hour report and maintenance record. That tells a lot more.

All that said if the boat was mostly idle hrs and has docs, I would say 500+ isn't a big deal. Many stories if those motors with damn near 1000 hrs and no issues.

Every boat differs though.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
I've been told hours are just a number -- PROVIDED -- ALL of the proper maintenance has been done and ALL documentation is available. Of course that also depends how the engines have been run - WOT 90% of the time - is a heck of a lot difference than easy cruising. Salt or Fresh has got a lot to do with it too.

just my 2 cents
Salt or fresh won't have much to do with 496's being closed cooled.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:00 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Somewhat yes and no ^^^^ saltwater has to run thru the heat exchanger and exhaust system among other areas. Saltwater is a lot tougher on the external side of things too plus on wiring especially grounds along with nuts and bolts that have to come off at some time. Also if the boat has taken on saltwater hitting the bottom of engine, oil pan and starter you can expect corrosion in those areas. Saltwater that is left in bilge overtime creates a whole lot more external corrosions on engine parts especially in humid conditions for a stored boat with saltwater still in the bilge. Also a u joint bellows that is ripped and has taken on saltwater can cause a lot more issues as well.

the Swivel shaft thru the gimbal ring and other transom assembly do not hold up as well compared to freshwater either so there is more to it than the engine side of things. Even props corroded to the propshaft in which can be a real PITA to get off.

I could always tell 100 % a saltwater app from a non including a 496 with closed cooling regardless if I was externally working on it or internally.

Last edited by BUP; 08-31-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:16 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

get a complete PCM scan of the engines and look for hours at what rpms that was run at. You do not want engines that have a whole bunch of idle time nor have a bunch of max rpm run times or a whole bunch overspeeds.

Marine engines that are ran at 75 % of there max duty cycle most of the time will have better longevity.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Salt or fresh won't have much to do with 496's being closed cooled.
Oops
Old 08-31-2015, 07:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
Oops
Not at all opps.

It's called taking care of your boat and it is a none issue. If anything I think this site is hilarious with their perception of salt water. You would think any boat every to touch salt is just going to crumble away with the flick of a wrist.

If you have any common sense, know how, and a survey. You can tell if someone cared for something while they owned it.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with some of what was stated above I was in your shoes this spring and made the decision to buy a 32 Sunsation with 496 HO's with 475 hours and now that summer is almost over i am at 515hrs. I agree that you should have the engines scanned and see how the hours break down I also had a compression and leak down test done and if you search this forum you will find recommendations on where those numbers should be for a healthy motor. I don't think "Raylar" exists anymore but he has a lot of good post on here regarding the 496 many of which address your question. Mine runs strong and have not used a drop of oil all summer and keep in mind unless you trade boats every time you hit 300 hours you will have to freshen up any engine at some point.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all good info thanks...what does it cost to refresh a 496 mag?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.