Hayim And Imprescia ‘OK’ After Collision With Buoy In Record Attempt >

Hayim And Imprescia ‘OK’ After Collision With Buoy In Record Attempt

Notices

Hayim And Imprescia ‘OK’ After Collision With Buoy In Record Attempt

Old 09-07-2015, 10:03 AM
M0E
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem with speed, risks to self and adrenaline.

BIG problems with recklessly endangering other people. What if it was an anchored fishing boat and not a navigation buoy?
If you haven't come across the word.

reckless
adjective reck·less \ˈre-kləs\
: not showing proper concern about the possible bad results of your actions
: marked by lack of proper caution : careless of consequences
217ft/second in 50-100ft visibility. Yes or no?

Last edited by M0E; 09-07-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by M0E
No problem with speed, risks to self and adrenaline.

BIG problems with recklessly endangering other people. What if it was an anchored fishing boat and not a navigation buoy?
If you haven't come across the word.

217ft/second in 50-100ft visibility. Yes or no?
I guess poker runs and LOTO shootouts are out of the question then...those lead to injuries and fatalities every year. Like I said, go live in a bubble. I'm going to enjoy my boat!!
Old 09-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

I would agree that M0E is right despite his approach.....

Anyone else think M0E is a former OSO member that spent 20+ years in the Coast Guard, has a red/white Top Gun, teaches at a high performance boat school and owns an offshore performance boating site?
Old 09-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M0E is right .

Cancer tried to kill me as well- Im trying not to help it out going forward by using this kind of judgement.

Was the navigator/co pilot throttle man even looking at the map?

UD
Old 09-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

OK guys (and girls), I’ve been keeping my thoughts to myself for over a week on this one, but it’s time to speak my opinion. I totally agree that Stu was attempting this record run with all of the best intentions and for a great cause. If he had succeeded, everybody would have ended up a winner. But that’s not what happened.

Here’s my beef. Both Stu and Joey are veteran, accomplished racers. They know and understand what it takes to run a boat up to and on the ragged edge and survive. More importantly, they both understand the importance of proper safety precautions before, during and after a high speed run of any sort. Why then were they running 145+ MPH without helmets, Lifeline vests, restraint & emergency oxygen systems, etc.? (All of that and more is standard fare in every single offshore racing sanctioning body.) What they had instead was a couple of standard (not even high impact) PFD’s and an inflatable PFD. The young man sitting side saddle in the middle doesn’t even appear to have a proper seat. Lord knows what would have happened if they hit that buoy hard enough to dislodge that auxiliary fuel tank held in with a couple of straps behind them.

I’m probably going to get crucified by some OSO members for my opinion and they can go ahead and bash all they want. All I’m suggesting is that if we (the high performance boating community) want to improve our reputations, maybe we’d better make sure that in high profile events like this put our best foot forward.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:40 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

running like they were in the fog was irresponsible...period....they are lucky it was a bouy and not another vessel and two, lucky to be alive. Should have used better judgment and slowed to a safe speed and try for another day. No record, no charity, no race is worth it.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:46 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I'm glad I made all my powersports mistakes before the helmet cams and internet was invented.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by M0E
A simple yes/ no quesiton.

Is 217 feet per second an OK speed for 50-100 ft visibility?

Yes or no?
I'm from Long Island . As are a lot of members. Fog will lay in small patches depending on the inner coastal water temps and depths. I'm sure he thought it was a small patch as the incident happened right as he entered the fog anyway.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hp500efi
running like they were in the fog was irresponsible...period....they are lucky it was a bouy and not another vessel and two, lucky to be alive. Should have used better judgment and slowed to a safe speed and try for another day. No record, no charity, no race is worth it.
Ever do any night boating. I think people are going a little crazy here
Old 09-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
OK guys (and girls), I’ve been keeping my thoughts to myself for over a week on this one, but it’s time to speak my opinion. I totally agree that Stu was attempting this record run with all of the best intentions and for a great cause. If he had succeeded, everybody would have ended up a winner. But that’s not what happened.

Here’s my beef. Both Stu and Joey are veteran, accomplished racers. They know and understand what it takes to run a boat up to and on the ragged edge and survive. More importantly, they both understand the importance of proper safety precautions before, during and after a high speed run of any sort. Why then were they running 145+ MPH without helmets, Lifeline vests, restraint & emergency oxygen systems, etc.? (All of that and more is standard fare in every single offshore racing sanctioning body.) What they had instead was a couple of standard (not even high impact) PFD’s and an inflatable PFD. The young man sitting side saddle in the middle doesn’t even appear to have a proper seat. Lord knows what would have happened if they hit that buoy hard enough to dislodge that auxiliary fuel tank held in with a couple of straps behind them.

I’m probably going to get crucified by some OSO members for my opinion and they can go ahead and bash all they want. All I’m suggesting is that if we (the high performance boating community) want to improve our reputations, maybe we’d better make sure that in high profile events like this put our best foot forward.
I do agree with you on the life lines and helmets. But on the other hand it was like a sheet of glass out that morning. But you are correct in any size seas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.